Pregnate Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnny_zanni

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, my sunset platy is pregnate and i am wondering if anyone can guess how long till she gives birth to the fry i plan on moving her to a different tank so i can keep the fry.

some pics not that great..

100_1594.JPG

100_1560.JPG

100_1603.JPG

Roughly 2-3 days to go for her. I wasnt sure about mine as well. But people told me she was ready to pop in a day or two.

I got a 3-way breeder box and put her in on the third night, and had 6-7 fry that night.

I'd say a little longer than 3 days but pretty soon. You can use those breeder boxes but they can be a pain to keep clean. I would recommend using some airline tubing as a siphon to get rid of waste and uneaten food from the breeder box.

If you have another tank, which it sounds like you do, you can just move her after she has dropped the fry and let her recover a bit. Let the fry grow until they are bigger than her mouth (or any other tankmates') and then introduce them back into the main tank.

meegosh thats bassicaly my plan, i have a 25g thats got plants and everything with no fish in it. i am gonna put her in there let her have them then move her back to the 50g and as you said let the fry grow out.

its not really the other platys im worried about eating them its my angels

EDIT - the platy with her in the 2nd pic is the only fry that survived from my first platy's batch.

To be honest I keep mine in the community tank which includes Gourami's

I like to mimic nature as much as possible, so keeping them in main tank with natural predators is a good way to do that. Also it ensures not ALL of them survive so my tank wont become over crowded.

I have a heavily planted tank so lots of places they hide so I tend to get a fair few survive.

i have put her in her birth tank, i want to save as many as possible i am not worried about over crowding my tank

its a 50g and i got
1 male red wag platy
2 female sunburst platy
1 male mickey mouse platy
1 male platy not sure what to call it
2 female red swordtails
1 female pineapple swordtail
2 angelfish unknown sex

Back
Top Bottom