Prego from the LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got three Palties as starter fish one male two female. I didn't really figure on worry about breeding right off as the water conditions wouldn't be great until the tank cycled. After they had been in the tank a couple days the male was chasing one of the females around, and now she is huge. I cant imagine she would get that big that fast. I read it takes 5 weeks start to finish, and if she has a month to go she will burst. They keep males and females together at the LFS could I have purchassed a pregnant fish. Of course I know its possible, but likely? Do folks keep makes and females to together with no real intention of breading? Just let nature take its course and maybe some make it and maybe they dont? Or is that considered cruel? Curious what the ethic in the hobby is.

platies, mollies, guppies, and endlers are all very good at breeding in a very wide range of water conditions. i have endlers that breed relentlessly and since they give live birth instead of laying eggs most of the fry make it to adult hood unless there is a much larger fish in with them that has a snack. i dont think it's cruel. it's just the circle of life.

Live birthers are almost always pregnant when you buy them that the lfs.

It is the cycle of life, the adults most often will eat the young, that isn't cruel.

I'm not trying to be mean to you, but it is cruel to cycle a tank with fish in it.

why dont we all just sit back and enjoy fish and fish having babies, whats wrong with it. its just the way they are you dont have to like the babies just don't complain about them. i personally am proud when one of my mollies have babies, it makes me think i did something right,

Back
Top Bottom