Problem with LFS! Have unwanted baby Dalmation Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubsfan85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I stressed to the worker that I wanted a male because I already had a male and I did NOT want breeding. I only have a 10-gallon tank and no plans to upgrade at this time. She even had another worker come and confirm that the fish I chose was a male. I guess it's been about a month to month and a half. I noticed the new fish was looking kind of fat, and had been chasing my existing Molly around a lot. On Wednesday I came home to 9 babies in the tank. Today we're up to 14. :mad:

I called Petsmart and explained the situation. The girl (she sounded like the one who helped me originally) said that if I only had one male and one female, they really shouldn't breed. Gee, that's helpful information as I watch a dozen babies swim around my tank. :banghead:

She said the parents will most likely eat the babies, and if not, I can "dispose" of them. Ok... I don't really like that idea but I'd be willing to do it since my tank cannot support all these fish (I have 2 Dalmation Mollies, 1 guppy and 2 mystery snails). But, obviously, they're going to keep breeding, and I don't want to have to "dispose" of live fish every couple of months!

I emailed Petsmart about the issue and am waiting for a response. I really would just like to exchange the female for a male. If I don't, they're going to keep breeding and I think her bad attitude is stressing out my original Dalmation. Since I don't want to deal with the babies constantly I guess my only other option would be to get another tank to separate them. I don't really want another tank nor do I want to put out the money because of one $3 fish! We're in a townhouse and will be moving to a house in about 6 months. I'll likely upgrade to a larger tank once we're settled in a new home but for now the 10-gallon suits our needs.

My main issue right now is that the parent fish are not eating the babies! They're swimming around happily! Should I stop feeding them so that they're hungry and go after them? I know it's morbid but I need these things gone and I'd rather it happen the natural way..

Petsmart told me they have a policy that they can tell you the gender of a fish..or so one guy told me..the same guy also told me I couldn't buy their trumpet snails, because they can't do that either...I think the people that work there are just dumb...its like every job I get requires that I am trained to do that job right...but I guess not at fish stores lol

The best thing to do is to try to see what happens. Leave them on their own for a week. If the babies survive then the parents won't eat the babies and you'll have to give them away. If they get eaten-which although seems mean is necessary in your situation because you have no room-then you will have no trouble. I suggest you return one of the mollies because two mollies in a ten gallon tank is a lot of waste to begin with, and if they bred once they'll breed again.

in pa. where i live the local pet smart will take back any fish, any time, even if you didn't buy it there. i would talk to them and see if they will re-home (that's their saying not mine) the fish for you. that would be the best and easiest solution i think. good luck.

Can you post pictures of the fish? Would be interesting to see how someone could mix up the genders on livebearers considering they're some of the easiest to tell apart.

And on that note - you can't really put the blame entirely on PetSmart. As a responsible aquarist, you should have at least enough knowledge of the fish you keep to be able to tell the difference yourself so even if the PetSmart people completely screw up - you can just lift up the bag and go "...hey, wait a minute."

Awww please dont kill them! I wish I knew where u lived I hava tank that they would all fit in an would totally adopt them! = )

since your fish already had one batch of fry, I have some bad news for you. She will have many more. One breeding with livebearers will produce several batches of fry, without rebreeding. The female you got was not in the tank long enough to breed, gestate, and give birth. She was probably already pregnant when you got her.Better get a bigger tank:lol:

Contact the manager, ask for an exchange and tell them they can have all the babies back for free. It's a good deal for them so they will probably go for it.

If the FS won't take them for you, post on craigslist. I did and got rid of half my fry in 24 hours. I didn't sell them but I did ask for a $3.00 fee. I didn't want them to end up as feeder fish.
Plus craigslist won't let you sell pets directly, but you can charge a re-homing fee.

My LFS is local, not a chain, and so it nearly always takes people's fish. Just the other day I walked in and he'd added 4 huge angelfish and 1 large discus to his collection. Sold them on relatively soon. I'm always amazed at the number of people with fish tanks.

You could just kill the fry?

My LFS is local, not a chain, and so it nearly always takes people's fish. Just the other day I walked in and he'd added 4 huge angelfish and 1 large discus to his collection. Sold them on relatively soon. I'm always amazed at the number of people with fish tanks.

You could just kill the fry?

Just killing fry, is easier for some people than others.
I wouldn't be able to "just kill" anything. I will euthanize a sick or gravely injured fish, to save it from unnecessary pain and suffering, but just killing isn't for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom