Prolific Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone.

I just thought it would be fun to know of any stories and such on ridiculously prolific fish you or someone you know may have encountered.

Personally, I haven't had much luck breeding fish...I'm pretty horrible at it actually (i.e., guppies I had a while back only gave birth to 3 fry...ONLY ONCE!!!). However, my father had bought some convict cichlids and you know you what they say...water, then add fish (convicts) and you'll have a bunch of fry. Lol.

Lastly, for comic relief and because I really want to post this,

:multi::multi::multi::multi::multi::multi::multi:

Look at them go. Lol.

*clears throat*

Endlers livebearers. The males are gorgeous colors. Everyone warned me, I told myself: "Self, it can't be that bad. So they breed and have babies, no biggie"

Oops

In December last year I got some from a friend. 4 males, 5 females. How much harm can they do? I then went out of the country for all of January and part of February. I came back, and there had to be close to what I though was 100 fish in the tank. I just kinda let it go for a while. Last month, at a local club auction, people were asking for fry (you'd probably rather not know what for), so I started fishing them out. I ended up selling 5 bags or so of 30-50 fry each.

A few weeks ago a friend wanted some. I warned him, but he wanted them anyway. He came by and went home with dozens of babies, juvies, and most of the adults. As I look over at the tank right now, I see about 4-5 adult males, 6-8 adult females, and probably 40 fry and who knows how many juvies.

Want some? I'm trying to tear this tank down. lol

Haha. Sweet.

Endlers do seem pretty cool. The males definetly look pretty nice, however REALLY SMALL. The females aren't as cool IMO, which is why I don't really like to keep female guppies in my tank. Come to think of it, endlers and the wild guppy types are pretty similar.

I would take some males off you, but the only tank where they might have a chance of surviving is my semi-aggressive community tank...but I'm sure the tiger barbs, let alone the other fish in there will tear them to shreds.

You could use them as feeders...:p.

Electric yellow cichlids and my geophagus both breed constantly. I have given up removing the fry out of the tanks as I don't have enough room to store all the fry.

Hey Neilan I would love to have some males I can't find them around here. Do you think they would survive the trip?

Yeah, in this weather I think it'd be no problem, even with 3-day shipping. I have kordon breather bags, but no styrofoam. I've never shipped fish before, lol, so it could get interesting.

Catching them is another story.. lol

Electric yellow cichlids and my geophagus both breed constantly. I have given up removing the fry out of the tanks as I don't have enough room to store all the fry.

Really? I also had yellow labs for awhile. One of them had about 3 fry once and they got eaten and that was it. Boo!

I have bad luck with breeding. Maybe I should get another 20 gallon and fill it up with as many livebearers as I can and see where that goes. Lol.

I had a pair of Texas cichlids produce several hundred fry in one spring a couple of years ago. Cousins to convicts. I would siphon the fry out when they would start swimming and the parents would start all over again. I think I profited about $100 after spending around $300. So they soon became feeders, all tho the parents wouldn't partake. I suspect they could taste her own young.

Really? I also had yellow labs for awhile. One of them had about 3 fry once and they got eaten and that was it. Boo!

I have bad luck with breeding. Maybe I should get another 20 gallon and fill it up with as many livebearers as I can and see where that goes. Lol.

My yellows produce 60-100 fry every couple of months, I even removed a male so I have 1 male for 4 females. the geo's breed every 2 weeks. And recently my albino bristlenose plecos have been spawing every 3 weeks, I am up to about 90 or so baby plecos.

When I did keep guppies, I have 3 males and 10 females and ended up with over 300 fry. I separated the males from the females and the females continued to give birth for the next several months. Female livebearer's can store sperm and can have several groups of fry without males.

My yellows produce 60-100 fry every couple of months, I even removed a male so I have 1 male for 4 females. the geo's breed every 2 weeks. And recently my albino bristlenose plecos have been spawing every 3 weeks, I am up to about 90 or so baby plecos.

When I did keep guppies, I have 3 males and 10 females and ended up with over 300 fry. I separated the males from the females and the females continued to give birth for the next several months. Female livebearer's can store sperm and can have several groups of fry without males.
I've heard that some species can change gender.

Wow.

Some people just have luck with being able to breed fish I guess. It was hard for me to breed guppies!!!!!! Lol.

I had a pair of Texas cichlids produce several hundred fry in one spring a couple of years ago. Cousins to convicts. I would siphon the fry out when they would start swimming and the parents would start all over again. I think I profited about $100 after spending around $300. So they soon became feeders, all tho the parents wouldn't partake. I suspect they could taste her own young.

Lol.$300 on wut? That's sweet deal.

Do RCS. they breed like mad too.

Red Cherry Shrimp? Really?

My silver sailfin mollies breed like crazy and have roughly 10-20 fry at a time. Usually about 5-8 survive and the adults actually don't eat them. They have multiplied so much from the time I got them that I've had to get another tank. It's crazy! There are soooo many of them! My 3 dwarf platys and my 1 guppy are totally overrun with mollies! The mollies are really healthy and hardy though. Anyone want some? I just found a new batch of fry a few days ago....

well I haven't had a whole lot of luck with breeding either, but my Corys are spawning all the time, however all the eggs usually get eaten.
I recently purchased some swordtails, so I may have a different success rate with breeding very soon!
Everyone says watch out for guppies, but they can be hard to keep alive so im not sure that that statement is true...

hummm... lets see: 1200-1500 fish per year (min) x 9 yrs = 10800 to 13500
Cull 98% (which are sold) = 13230 leaves ~ 270 breeders.

All from 2 excellent pair of Fancy Guppies bought 9 years ago. An outcross is performed once every two years. I would say the above numbers are on the low side too... some females give 150 fry every birth.

Back
Top Bottom