Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Prompting Aneneus to breed

I purchased what is supposed to be a breeding colony of six bronze corys a couple of weeks ago and have read all I can find on how to breed them.

My questions are:
1. How long should they be aclimated to new surroundings before trying to stimulate rains by dropping temperature using PWC or ice cubes?
2. When I do drop temperature should I allow the heater on to immediately restore the temp. or leave the temp. at a lower level?
3. I know they like a lower temp. What should be the normal tank temp before cooling.
$. My ph is 7.4. Too high? What should I do about it if anything?

Thanks to all for any help.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Your pH is not too high. I don't remember the exact temp for aenaeus, but when you do a change, the water should be several degrees cooler. Having the fish conditioned so the females are full of eggs is important. Live and frozen foods may help with that.
So, what I would do in your case is acclimatize the fish and start feeding heavily. When the females look full of eggs, you can try the cool water change. If you can coordinate it with an oncoming storm front that may help also. Sometimes, though, you have to wait for them to be ready.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coordinating with a storm front should be the easy part! I live in S.E. Idaho and we are getting wave after wave of snow! LOL!. Got any good info on best live and frozen food to use?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I like white worms for the high fat content, and the fact you can easily cultivate them yourselves. Lots of people swear by frozen bloodworms, although there seems to be a lot of crap mixed in with them. When I can I also feed daphnia, and any live aquatic insect larvae I can, such as mosquito larvae, bloodworms, and glassworms.

Tags
aeneus, breed, breeding, cory, water temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com