Pros of breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At first when I got my first tank, I said absolutely nooooo breeding but the more I see people doing it the more I wonder. What's so good about breeding? Would you recommend it for me? And why? :) thanks!

What's so good about breeding? Having more baby fish for more population , for profit , feeder or show.

The natural next step in fish keeping is breeding your fish :) once you can keep them alive and happy, breeding them is the ultimate achievement

At first when I got my first tank, I said absolutely nooooo breeding but the more I see people doing it the more I wonder. What's so good about breeding? Would you recommend it for me? And why? :) thanks!

I had 2 platty In a 2 gallon tank because I rehomed them for a friend and didnt have a tank so I got my sisters old betta tank... The amonia was unreal in the tank. I lost 1 platy and by the time I was able to get a new take and get the platy in there it was about 1 month and a week or 2 . I had large gravel in my tank very large and porus . When I got back from a trip to Vegas I saw tiny itsybitsy fry "from my danios" I lost 1 during the cycling . Then I did some water draining into a bucket a couple times that week and found tons of danio fry I put them into the old 2 gallon and then I found something amazing a fry 4 times the size of the eyelash size danios ... I was like how could a danio of grown so large. Weeks go by all the danio fry die and disappear not sure what the heck happened I had a sponge filter. Anyways they turned out to be platy fry which means my poor platty held out untill she was I a new tank to pop. And I life raising the 2 platy fry that I did find!

In other words breeding is fun but the fry require alot of attention.

I had 2 platty In a 2 gallon tank because I rehomed them for a friend and didnt have a tank so I got my sisters old betta tank... The amonia was unreal in the tank. I lost 1 platy and by the time I was able to get a new take and get the platy in there it was about 1 month and a week or 2 . I had large gravel in my tank very large and porus . When I got back from a trip to Vegas I saw tiny itsybitsy fry "from my danios" I lost 1 during the cycling . Then I did some water draining into a bucket a couple times that week and found tons of danio fry I put them into the old 2 gallon and then I found something amazing a fry 4 times the size of the eyelash size danios ... I was like how could a danio of grown so large. Weeks go by all the danio fry die and disappear not sure what the heck happened I had a sponge filter. Anyways they turned out to be platy fry which means my poor platty held out untill she was I a new tank to pop. And I life raising the 2 platy fry that I did find!

In other words breeding is fun but the fry require alot of attention.

Oh ok. I think I'll breed my fish when I have more tanks.

What's so good about breeding? Having more baby fish for more population , for profit , feeder or show.

The natural next step in fish keeping is breeding your fish :) once you can keep them alive and happy, breeding them is the ultimate achievement

+1. I usually keep fry to sell for a profit. Koi can sell for a pretty good price so raising them to selling size is also an achievement IMO.

There are many pros and cons to breeding your fish. The biggest PRO is that it forces you to be aware of your tank's environment and the science behind it and really gets you to understand the natural world.

Back in the day, the "next step" to keeping fish was to breed them. In today's environment, that's not always a good thing. Many of the current varieties of fish are the culmination of years of selective breeding to get certain traits to stand out. This has created a whole generation of mishaped fish as being the "norm." In light of this, it may also be difficult to get good breeding stock of these mutations as they all could be siblings or related which leads to a whole list of other problems. If you do breed, be mindful to get fish from different sources to increase your chances of better genetics. That's another PRO, you get to learn about genetics and how things work in the real world. (y)

Another Pro is that you can sustain your own fish populations by breeding your fish. Since fish are living things, they will die off at some point so having younger fish available will increase the time you get to watch and be with your fish.

Another Pro is that you can use your breeding efforts to pay for your hobby. I got into breeding fish to supply my mentor's pet shop with fish. In my case, I had to learn about breeding many varieties of fish (Tetras, Danios, Gouramis, Cichlids ( many varieties), Bettas, etc. )This was information I have carried with me for over 45 years. In doing all this breeding, I was able to sell my fish to the LFS and get my food, filter materials, new tanks and all the equipment I needed without going into my savings account to pay for them. With this knowledge, I was later able to take this from a hobby and make it a career. I spent over 40 years in the fish BUSINESS either breeding fish, importing fish or collecting fish. A reliable source of home grown fish are always more desired by pet shops.

The #1 CON ( IMO ;)) to breeding fish is that it can take up a lot of space. Depending on the fish you breed, you may need at least 2 tanks just dedicated to one spawn. Yes, you hear of people "finding a fry or two" accidentally in their community tank but this isn't really "breeding" fish. Most fish have a spawn of at least 100 eggs. ( This does not include livebearers.) If you raise 50% of them, you have at least 50 fish. If you are breeding for the money, you will need to provide a situation where you eliminate other fish from getting to the eggs and fry ( a.k.a. another tank.) More tanks mean more space which mean more equipment and so on. All this equals the biggest Con in my book, MONEY. It can be expensive to start a breeding program. The good news is if you are successful at it, the fish will eventually pay you back.

Another CON to breeding is with certain fish, they need to take over entire tanks so you will be only having the one pair in the breeding tank. Space limitations can lead to fewer varieties of fish you can breed.

Bottom line, nobody says that you HAVE to breed fish to be an accomplished aquarist. I've know many people over the years who have created extremely successful aquarium habitats that never bred a fish. You do want to keep in mind tho which fish require what space to breed. For those fish, you are best to only keep one of the specie in the tank to avoid territorial problems. This is why it is always best to plan out your tank before you ever get it or get your first fish.

Hope this helps (y)

I breed my african cichlids all the time, and its true that you need a few more tanks (but thats a good thing), but its also a lot of fun! Plus when you sell them, you can get some money back to help offset the costs of the hobby.
By the way, your PM box is full ;)

Well I don't consider it 'breeding' because my guppies do everything on their own, I just supply new genetic variations and try to keep everyone alive. But, I traded 70 guppies to a guy for 20 rcs, which would have cost me over 80 bucks at the pet store, so win!

Well I don't consider it 'breeding' because my guppies do everything on their own, I just supply new genetic variations and try to keep everyone alive. But, I traded 70 guppies to a guy for 20 rcs, which would have cost me over 80 bucks at the pet store, so win!

Haha yeah thats true. I just look on as they do their own thing! I like them to breed and i try to give a good male/female ratio to increase breeding chances, but i really don't do much otherwise except trying to keep them alive!

Wow! You must have A LOT of fry! 70 guppies!!! That's crazy! But I think 70 guppies should be worth at least 30-40 rcs IMO.

I have a 75 gallon and just let them do whatever. Never really tried to save fry or anything, eventually I just had too many and I wanted to get different colors. This little beauty is one I got out the mix, his mom had a huge dorsal fin (which is why I bought her) and passed that on to him, his dad was a tiny little sword with similar colors he's showing.

Attachments

• image-1203181446.jpg
    image-1203181446.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3079771036.jpg
    image-3079771036.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 90
I have a 75 gallon and just let them do whatever. Never really tried to save fry or anything, eventually I just had too many and I wanted to get different colors. This little beauty is one I got out the mix, his mom had a huge dorsal fin (which is why I bought her) and passed that on to him, his dad was a tiny little sword with similar colors he's showing.

Wow. He looks really nice!! I love his colors and tail. Looked like a mini beta for a sec ;).

These are some more shots, I'm not super happy about all the red in some of these so they'll be going as soon as my tank has settled (got a bad case of something, and it managed to take out a number of favorites). I have some really awesome males I got recently, so I can't wait for them to start making babies. You can see one of them in the one pic, he's the green and black speckled blur.

Attachments

• image-859097994.jpg
    image-859097994.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3052202192.jpg
    image-3052202192.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3792067013.jpg
    image-3792067013.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-192406595.jpg
    image-192406595.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3311657556.jpg
    image-3311657556.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
These are some more shots, I'm not super happy about all the red in some of these so they'll be going as soon as my tank has settled (got a bad case of something, and it managed to take out a number of favorites). I have some really awesome males I got recently, so I can't wait for them to start making babies. You can see one of them in the one pic, he's the green and black speckled blur.

All of yours look really awesome and a lot better than all my lfs. :D
I like the ones in pic one and pic 2.

Back
Top Bottom