Question about Angelfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys I'm interested in breeding some angelfish that I currently have in my community tank, I think I may have a pair but I'm not too sure as they are not showing their breeding tube.

I am planning on putting them in a 20 litre tank which is quite well planted.
Can anyone tell me what and where I can start from to get them ready to breed or any advice that will help me?

Thanks a lot for any help given :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 20 liter tank is only about 5g, that is quite small for an angel breeding pair. Do you have anything bigger to put them in while breeding? If you, can wait for them to breed in the community and then remove he eggs and raise them yourself in the 20 liter. It takes more work than if the parents do it, but is still not that tough.

A 20 liter tank is only about 5g, that is quite small for an angel breeding pair. Do you have anything bigger to put them in while breeding? If you, can wait for them to breed in the community and then remove he eggs and raise them yourself in the 20 liter. It takes more work than if the parents do it, but is still not that tough.

Hmmm someone told me that it would be fine if it was well planted i know its small but thats the only other tank available

The thing is i dont think they well breed in the community tanks seeing has there is quite a few fish and i also have 2 gold severums that breed in that tank already and they will probably eat the eggs before i see them so i dont think that will happen.

Is it not possible for me to breed them in the 5g?

2 adult angels will have problems swimming in a 5 gal tank , you would have to do large water changes daliy

Depending on the size of your angels, I would say no. My adult angels are all well too large to even fit in a 10g for breeding. Their fins drag on the ground when they try to swim.
How large is your community tank? The parents will defend the eggs once they lay them, but you are correct that they will likely be eaten in a community if you do not remove them. The parents will defend against fish during the day, but the bigger issue is fish moving in at night and stealing them when the parents are resting. Plecos and catfish are especially good at this.

Depending on the size of your angels, I would say no. My adult angels are all well too large to even fit in a 10g for breeding. Their fins drag on the ground when they try to swim.
How large is your community tank? The parents will defend the eggs once they lay them, but you are correct that they will likely be eaten in a community if you do not remove them. The parents will defend against fish during the day, but the bigger issue is fish moving in at night and stealing them when the parents are resting. Plecos and catfish are especially good at this.

I could take a picture of angelfish and show you how big they are and also I don't know what they are doing is breeding behaviour or not so if I take a video of it could you tell me?
My community tank is 200 litres
Hmmm I haven't seen them clean a site out like they apparently do and I do see any breed ducts yet so don't know :s also I don't think they will lay eggs with 2 gold severums around as they like to chase the angels around for some reason

But I can leave the light on and this way they can see the eggs and won't be eaten

They may not ever lay eggs if they are being chased by the severums and are too stressed. That depends on the individual fish. Angels can be pretty feisty, but multiple pairs of breeding, territorial fish can be trouble in a community. If they are paired though, they may breed anyways. But, they may have an issue with them fighting with the severums. Tough to say just from conjecture. Certainly feel free to take a video. :)
To clarify, the 5g is too small for long term. If your fish were petite, it could maybe work once or twice, but 2 adult breeding angels in a 5g tank is not a good idea. I cannot imagine who told you that it was, but more like a 20g would work. Not a 20 liter.
No, leaving the light on will not help form scavengers because eventually the angels will rest. Also, having a light on 24 hours a day isn't great for them since they need some rest time and rely on natural rhythms of night and day to an extent.

I'd definitely have to agree that a 5g is absolutely to small. My girl and I had to separate our angels from the community tank at one point and they went into a standard 20g. It was only a temp thing till I had time to get them to my buddies store and I think even the 20g was too small for two angels. I personally wouldn't do anything smaller than a 29g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

They may not ever lay eggs if they are being chased by the severums and are too stressed. That depends on the individual fish. Angels can be pretty feisty, but multiple pairs of breeding, territorial fish can be trouble in a community. If they are paired though, they may breed anyways. But, they may have an issue with them fighting with the severums. Tough to say just from conjecture. Certainly feel free to take a video. :)
To clarify, the 5g is too small for long term. If your fish were petite, it could maybe work once or twice, but 2 adult breeding angels in a 5g tank is not a good idea. I cannot imagine who told you that it was, but more like a 20g would work. Not a 20 liter.
No, leaving the light on will not help form scavengers because eventually the angels will rest. Also, having a light on 24 hours a day isn't great for them since they need some rest time and rely on natural rhythms of night and day to an extent.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411579164.652350.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411579181.645471.jpg
Here are the pictures of my angelfish they are that big and I have 3 other ones that are much smaller than these ones. Do you think this will be able to breed in a 5gallon tank?
I will try to get a video soon on what they are doing so you can tell if it's actually breeding ritual
Also I'm not planning on keeping the angels in the 5 gallons very long only until they lay their eggs

Yeah I don't think they will have a chance to lay the eggs in the community tank and if anything the gold severums will probably eat them :/

Oh ok I left the light on for my severums and they sort of seemed fine. But I have noticed that when I turned the light off and check the next morning for eggs they are gone :/

No, those fish are too big. When breeding, they will bicker and fight and potentially hurt each other. Their fins will also likely drag on the ground and they can get infections.

No, those fish are too big. When breeding, they will bicker and fight and potentially hurt each other. Their fins will also likely drag on the ground and they can get infections.

Is there no chance I can put then in there?
If I take a picture of my tank and show you will that help?
I don't think their fins are that long that they will drag on the ground

Also if I want to encourage them to breed in my community tank what could I do?

The only thing that's a good chance by putting an angel in a 5g tank is unnecessary stress resulting in death. There are no filters that will help to convince anyone that putting an angel in a 5g is good in any way. Breeders will use a 20g at minimum to encourage breeding with a pair. They will stick a single mature show quality in a 30g.

Bottom line is you need to help yourself do some more research. Don't take the first answer that you come across as the ultimate word either. Gather info from multiple sources (like 5-10) and take that info to the next level.

Asking the same question over and over in a different context won't lead to a different answer. It actually leads to the same answer with poorer results.

Read this one carefully. It states exactly, "Stock ready to be paired, 5 gallons". That's per fish. You have two so that means TEN GALLONS. "Fully grown breeding pair, TWENTY GALLONS".

http://angelsplus.com/ArticleCare.htm

This next one is probably a poor example but still beats your possible set up by far.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/angel-fish-care-article.html

And here's another that's from right here within this forum, and that was 7 years ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-is-an-ideal-tank-size-for-an-angelfish-92524.html

Now that took me all of about five minutes. Hope I helped with your research.

The only thing that's a good chance by putting an angel in a 5g tank is unnecessary stress resulting in death. There are no filters that will help to convince anyone that putting an angel in a 5g is good in any way. Breeders will use a 20g at minimum to encourage breeding with a pair. They will stick a single mature show quality in a 30g.

Bottom line is you need to help yourself do some more research. Don't take the first answer that you come across as the ultimate word either. Gather info from multiple sources (like 5-10) and take that info to the next level.

Asking the same question over and over in a different context won't lead to a different answer. It actually leads to the same answer with poorer results.

Read this one carefully. It states exactly, "Stock ready to be paired, 5 gallons". That's per fish. You have two so that means TEN GALLONS. "Fully grown breeding pair, TWENTY GALLONS".

http://angelsplus.com/ArticleCare.htm

This next one is probably a poor example but still beats your possible set up by far.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/angel-fish-care-article.html

And here's another that's from right here within this forum, and that was 7 years ago.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-is-an-ideal-tank-size-for-an-angelfish-92524.html

Now that took me all of about five minutes. Hope I helped with your research.

Alright thanks for the advice I appreciate it very much I would rather have my angelfish then trying to make them breeding in a small environment and then dying :/

I'm guessing I need another tank and I didn't take the first answer that came to me I did my research but wasn't getting much help from other places....
But thanks anyways

Also I have one more question how can I encourage my pair to breed in my community tank? And what kinda set up would I have to provide for them?

I suggest you slow down on the breeding. I read your thread about the mollies, if you get that wound up about Molly dropping fry you will be climbing out of your skin with the angel breeding. You got these fish, enjoy what you have and let nature do its thing. There is no real need to rush, you should follow what the other person said DO A LOT OF RESEARCH! You must know your fish, be sure they are happy, healthy, LIVING IN PROPER ENVIRONMENT. I don't mean to be rude but if you wanted to breed your angels in a 5 gallon, I'm sorry you have a lot to learn. Good luck

Hmmm someone told me that it would be fine if it was well planted i know its small but thats the only other tank available

The thing is i dont think they well breed in the community tanks seeing has there is quite a few fish and i also have 2 gold severums that breed in that tank already and they will probably eat the eggs before i see them so i dont think that will happen.

Is it not possible for me to breed them in the 5g?

I believe that you are referring the "wigglers at last" thread where I wrote plants are fine but thought that you might have meant 20gal instead of 20liters. You responded that you did indeed mean 20 liters and then they closed the thread so we couldn't discuss it any further. My four breeding pairs of angels are all in 20gal tanks (80 liter for you I believe). Plants will be fine but not to heavily otherwise feeding the fry can be a nightmare as they'll have problems finding the food. Personally my tanks are bare tanks with some fake plants. It's easier for daily clean of uneaten food and waste. Most tank raised Angels will not get the parenting thing right away. My koi angel didn't get it until the 20th time spawning. My silver Angels got right the first time. You never know. Each pair is different.

Sent from my iPad

Alright thanks for the advice I appreciate it very much I would rather have my angelfish then trying to make them breeding in a small environment and then dying :/

I'm guessing I need another tank and I didn't take the first answer that came to me I did my research but wasn't getting much help from other places....
But thanks anyways

Also I have one more question how can I encourage my pair to breed in my community tank? And what kinda set up would I have to provide for them?

Well I'm glad I could help you and It's forward progress. But if I can interject briefly, I've been following along with some of your other posts and I think the answer to the question you asked here was answered successfully by Andy Sager very well. He's got a lot of experience and is well respected in the community.

And just to point out one more thing about research. In another thread you posted that 132 pages was too much to read. IMO/E, regardless of the task, you will only get 100% if you put in 100%.

We'll said Treeman, that's the point I am trying to make, you said it much better. Thank you and I really hope OP follows what you have said. Thanks again for putting the words together a bit kinder than I did. I agree about Andy, I've had the opportunity to get his advise and opinions on a couple things and I'm thankful I did. Thinks he pointed out about breeding Angels, is a bit beyond my financial means as well as the dedicated time, prep and after care.

hello all im backkkkkk i will help with angels all i can. some already no me as a long time successful breeder . . i got out of the hobbie and bought a couple gold claims here in colorado so it keeps me very busy in the summer . me and andy are stilll in contack so im here to offer advice along beside him .. good to see some of my old fishie buds .

Back
Top Bottom