question bout jack dempsey fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjgrl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I so was not expecting babies...I had bout nine Dempsey in a 75-100 gallon tank for over a year now...bout three weeks ago ..I seen eggs ..white ones so I looked it up and knew they were dead...well a week later I noticed lil specs moving around...anyways I have bout forty babies on a huge tank and sure how to move them to the smaller tank..or if I should put the parents in the smaller tank..I just know I need to clean the tank..need advise ppppllease!

The parents will typically vigorously defend and protect their fry; however, with all the other dempseys in there, i would say that if you are wanting to keep the babies to remove them to a smaller tank. Maybe a five or ten gallon to start.

I so was not expecting babies...I had bout nine Dempsey in a 75-100 gallon tank for over a year now...bout three weeks ago ..I seen eggs ..white ones so I looked it up and knew they were dead...well a week later I noticed lil specs moving around...anyways I have bout forty babies on a huge tank and sure how to move them to the smaller tank..or if I should put the parents in the smaller tank..I just know I need to clean the tank..need advise ppppllease!

If the fry are too small to net, you can use a piece of clear tubing and siphon them into a container to put them into another tank. I'd use a 1/2" id tubeing which you can adjust the water flow with your finger over the end going into the container. You don't want to siphon too fast or you can hurt the fry but you don't want too slow a flow or the fry will swim away from the tube.

Hope this helps (y)

I siphoned mine out. The parents will defend them for a while. Eventually they will turn on them. Within a few weeks the babies will be swimming too good for the parents to protect em all. I have 2 sets of jack fry.. 4 months and 2 months from the same parents. I was caught off guard just as you were! Watching them parent was so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom