Question on my young guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I have a question about my young guppies that seem to be "teens" now...lol Well I was wondering how old do they have to be to reproduce or even are able to? I feel the male young guppies are starting to go after the adult guppy... Is this normal? Also the female seem to have the dark circle that signifies that they're pregnant( forgot what you call it).... Lol If anyone breeds guppies I would love to get some help on when they are ready and things like that. Thanks!

From what I've read, guppies (and all livebearers) can breed from very early ages. So yeah, I'd say that it's pretty normal for even a young male to start spawning. (And the gravid spot, is what I think you mean. (; )

They can reproduce at 4 weeks or slightly less. The problem is the females will be much smaller as this retards the growth process. To get large females, keep a group o fry in a tank by themselves and cull all the males from 3-7 weeks. Let the females grow of another month, monster gupps

From what I've read, guppies (and all livebearers) can breed from very early ages. So yeah, I'd say that it's pretty normal for even a young male to start spawning. (And the gravid spot, is what I think you mean. (; )

Thanks! & yes thats the word! :) the gravid spot gets me a little weird.... Does it ever go away once they've gave birth? I feel all my females have it and the adult one seems to have never lost it....is that normal?

They can reproduce at 4 weeks or slightly less. The problem is the females will be much smaller as this retards the growth process. To get large females, keep a group o fry in a tank by themselves and cull all the males from 3-7 weeks. Let the females grow of another month, monster gupps

Yes that makes sense.... I'm going to start doing that.... Would you happen to know the answer to the questions on my last reply? If so it would be great knowing different opinions and advices.
Thanks!

Thanks! & yes thats the word! :) the gravid spot gets me a little weird.... Does it ever go away once they've gave birth? I feel all my females have it and the adult one seems to have never lost it....is that normal?

Unless they have a dark marking where the gravid spot would be, yes, it goes away after the guppy gives birth. The gravid spot is just the developing fry inside her stomach. And yeah, I have 5 females and 1 male and within 6 hours all were pregnant.

As for the adult female, that could just be a marking, or maybe it is the gravid spot. How long has she had it?

Unless they have a dark marking where the gravid spot would be, yes, it goes away after the guppy gives birth. The gravid spot is just the developing fry inside her stomach. And yeah, I have 5 females and 1 male and within 6 hours all were pregnant.

As for the adult female, that could just be a marking, or maybe it is the gravid spot. How long has she had it?
I feel the adult female almost always has it but there is times its smaller and times its larger as if she was pregnant....

Once you start seeing that black spot on the females tail that means that they are ready to spawn, livebearers are known to reproduce at very early stages of their lives

Once you start seeing that black spot on the females tail that means that they are ready to spawn, livebearers are known to reproduce at very early stages of their lives

My young ones already have gravid spot so yum guessing they're pregnant

Good luck with all the coming fry! (And there will be lots... (; )

Thanks! They will be alot I know! Lol :) just feel all my fry end up being male lol... They even chase their own mother :)

I think higher temperatures can sometimes influence the male-female ratio to more males. Probably unlikely, but a thought. Haha. And yeah, their whole life is breeding and eating. That's about it.

I think higher temperatures can sometimes influence the male-female ratio to more males. Probably unlikely, but a thought. Haha. And yeah, their whole life is breeding and eating. That's about it.

Never thought of that about the temperature but can be true...will give it a thought and reduce the temperature just a bit...I think it's at 80 degrees

Yeah. My opinion is not law or anything, but that's what I've read. If it works, let me know. It would be really neat to have proof.

Back
Top Bottom