Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Questions:

I have a 55 gallon, currently, it has my own strain of guppies(too many of them), a breeding pair of sword tails, a peppered cory, and a handful of shrimp.

My female swordtail looks like she's pregnant, problem is, i cant catch her, because she's too fast, too many plants and large chunks driftwood in the way, and i have no way of separating guppy fry, from swordtail fry, let alone tell the difference because my sword tail is white....

....What do i do?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Let nature take its course.. It sounds like you have plenty of cover for the fry, and there is no telling what color the fry will come out. As they grow you will be able to tell the difference

Old 12-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright, that sounds easy enough, but ive had my swordtail for close to 10 months now, and i havent had one sword tail, AT ALL...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

try when the lights are out. many times fish will rest at the top of the water. also using 2 nets will help.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i have a gigantic net that is almost as wide as the tank... makes scooping up those hard to get fish really easy

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i came up with a excellent solution, i got a 10 inch net, and my tank is 12 inches wide. i filled the bottom of the net full of food, and wait for the endlers to swim into it, i was able to take a good 30-40 of them out, theres still a good 30-40 left, and now, i have about 120-150 endlers (red leopard/single dot/half albino/full albino/and a ton of other hybrids) in my 10 gallon, waiting to go into a pond...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com