Questions on Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drobertson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have had fish for years now and never had to worry about fry. I have a couple of questions pertaining to guppy fry.

1st Can you tell me about how long the birthing takes. So I have an idea when to remove the mother from the fry.

2nd This tank is due for its 50% PWC Sunday, it is a planted tank with fert dosing. Is it safe to change that much water with the fry less then 24 hours old.

3rd How long do I wait to worry about feeding them. I have the guppy baby bites food. Just need to know when to start feeding them.

Thanks in Advance

We have a tank at work with guppies. It started with 10... When we can no longer see the back of the tank because of the number of fish in the tank we scoop some out and feed them to the cichlid tank.

I guess my point is that I'm not sure you have to remove the adults. We don't and seem to have no problem. For food we take flake food and crush it fine. It's what we give the adults too.

I would think that a water change is fine as long as you don't suck them up.

Also, if you have not already, you might want to put a foam block over the filter suction tube.

With water changes like said previously, be careful when siphoning, don't want to suck up the babies. You said the tank is planted, there should be enough places for the babies to hide with a planted tank. I have a 16 gallon guppy tank and had to bring in a goby for "population control", lol.

I guess I did something right, or wrong depending on your point of view. I now have 23 guppy fry swimming around. Guess now I need to see about setting up a semi-aggressive or aggressive tank to help with over population. Looks like there is another one waiting to deliver.

Back
Top Bottom