Rabbit snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm very happy to say that I have successfully bread my two chocolate rabbit snails, they have had a total of 6 babies, but I am wondering if other types of rabbit snails will breed together such as my green rabbit snail and my chocolate rabbit snail

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also would rabbit snails breed if there was no substrate

Also the offspring of my chocolate rabbit snails don't look the same although the snails is the same the shell is completely different

Hahha that's what I thought at first but I am positive they are rabbit snails I have one that's already about 2 months old so I can clearly see it's a rabbit snail, I was shocked because i thought they were pretty hard to breed but I guess I got really lucky

I've got different breeds of rabbits but mine haven't inter bred yet! So I'm not sure, it would be cool if they do could get some really pretty one's :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That what I was thinking I have 2 chocolate rabbits and a big green rabbit and then a lot of chocolate babies

I have chocolate, yellow and orange, really find them interesting.

I love them possibly my favorite aquarium animal

They're really cute! I have lot's off different snail's in my tanks but i enjoy watching these guy's.

I only have rabbits and nerites and all of my LFS's almost never have rabbits so to get my first pair I had to ask them to order them, so I don't have many varieties

I bought mine off eBay. Usually get some good varieties, they had blues once but I was too slow and missed out, haven't seen them again.

If they are the same species, they may be able to cross breed, but if there are members of their own species available, this probably won't happen.

It's helpful to know what species they are, exactly. The colours alone are not much help, though from what I've read, solid colour rabbit snails are all from Lake Poso, thus, Poso rabbit snails. They're so similar, it would surprise me if they can't cross, but likely they prefer their own kind.

In the orange Poso, females are larger at maturity than males are, but that is not much help if they are not full grown. So far as I know, the size difference is true for most, if not all of these snails.

Orange Poso snails also have antennae that are distinctly different lengths. A Univeristy prof' friend of a friend who studies in this area thinks that the antennae are a clue to the sex. Long ones and shorter ones.. which is which, I do not know, but I got four, two short antennae, two longer antennae, and they have produced offspring, so I for sure have both sexes.

Yellow Poso rabbits don't have the same antennae.. in fact, they rarely unfold them enough to even tell how long they might be. So they may not be able to cross breed. Yellow ones often are more of dull greenish yellow intend of a real yellow, but are clearly the same species.

Lake Poso is in the Sulawesi area and sometimes the snails are just called Sulawesi snails, but there are dozens of species from this area. Some are quite rare and costly. A lot of them are members of the Tylomania family, but I don't know if they all are.

I have chocolate rabbits not solid color they are black and have some gold speckles on them, I also have a solid green rabbit snail.

None of my rabbit snails have long antenna like the orange rabbit snails does but I do have off spring.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415489890.110045.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415490008.015922.jpg
Here's a picture of my chocolate rabbit and one of it's babies, the baby is covered in the food from
One of the vacation feeding tabs but it's shell is a brown

I've got only one kind overhere and they are profilic...
Overhere they only breed with substrate on the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• fish stan ea5 118.jpg
    fish stan ea5 118.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 80
  • fish stan ea5 119.jpg
    fish stan ea5 119.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 72
I'm gonna add substrate to my other tank I don't like it with out it and hopefully they will breed

Although they are still young so it will take time

I am just wanted to know the do's and dont's

Back
Top Bottom