Raising fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
So recently my Platy gave birth to fry in my main 5 gallon tank, and they all got sucked up by the filter. ;( It was my only tank at the time and I didn't know the Platy was pregnant when I got it. My guppies had fry before in the same tank and they all got eaten by that evil, fry sucking filter! I now have a 20 gallon tank and I still have the 5 gallon running. I've discovered that my other Platy is also pregnant. So what I was planning to do is to buy a separating net thing to keep the fry away from the filter in the 5 gallon tank. What should I do? I'd like for my fry to grow into adult fishies this time! I'm clueless on what to do with fry. Any help and advice would be appriceated!

-Wyatt

You can buy a filter cover that's made from a mesh type material. Look them up on eBay. Not very expensive.

You can buy a filter cover that's made from a mesh type material. Look them up on eBay. Not very expensive.

Would the fry still be sucked up against it? And should I keep the parent fish with the fry after they are born?

Would the fry still be sucked up against it? And should I keep the parent fish with the fry after they are born?

It all depends on the fish... And does you tank have a lot of hiding spaces for the babies? Like plants? And no the babies shouldn't be sucked up against it. I have used one and it worked fine for me.

And for feeding I would recommend pellet food and crushed flakes. They like to peck on the pellet food after it gets soft!

It all depends on the fish... And does you tank have a lot of hiding spaces for the babies? Like plants? And no the babies shouldn't be sucked up against it. I have used one and it worked fine for me.

The fry this time would be Platys, and I could easily buy some fake plants to add to it. So if I were to add a mesh pre filter cover to my current filter, the fry would be safe? It seems to me that they would still be sucked against the mesh, but I've never had experience with it before.

The fry this time would be Platys, and I could easily buy some fake plants to add to it. So if I were to add a mesh pre filter cover to my current filter, the fry would be safe? It seems to me that they would still be sucked against the mesh, but I've never had experience with it before.

The fry normally can withstand the little bit of current from the filter with the mesh cover. They should be fine. Not saying they are 100% safe but mine are when I use the mesh. And also the fish are not required to be with there moms so if you think the mom might eat her babies you can take her out.

The fry normally can withstand the little bit of current from the filter with the mesh cover. They should be fine. Not saying they are 100% safe but mine are when I use the mesh. And also the fish are not required to be with there moms so if you think the mom might eat her babies you can take her out.

Ok, thank you! I will buy a mesh cover, add some fake plants, and take the mommy fish out after she gives birth. And one more thing, my other Platy that gave birth started acting poorly after giving birth, she stays still in the same places and isn't moving as much. Is this normal behavior? I have her seperate in my 5 gallon right now. She has been acting this way for about 3 days.

Ok, thank you! I will buy a mesh cover, add some fake plants, and take the mommy fish out after she gives birth. And one more thing, my other Platy that gave birth started acting poorly after giving birth, she stays still in the same places and isn't moving as much. Is this normal behavior? I have her seperate in my 5 gallon right now. She has been acting this way for about 3 days.

I have read that sometimes after the mothers give birth that they are weak and it is best to separate them from other fish. However , do not put a mother fish who has just given labor into a breeder net. I have found that this stresses her out even more. I would leave her in the separate 5 gallon until she starts showing normal behavior.

I have read that sometimes after the mothers give birth that they are weak and it is best to separate them from other fish. However , do not put a mother fish who has just given labor into a breeder net. I have found that this stresses her out even more. I would leave her in the separate 5 gallon until she starts showing normal behavior.

That's good to know. I'm glad that she's not sick or something. I don't have a breeder net and am not exactly sure what one is, so no worries there. In the last 12 hrs she has been swimming around a bit. So I'll wait till she's active and then put her in my 20 gallon.

Should I use a nursery box and put it in my 20 gallon tank? Or would it be better to use my 5 gallon tank?

What type of filter do you have? Is it like a tetra whisper?

What type of filter do you have? Is it like a tetra whisper?

The 5 gallon was a kit thing I got. I have no idea about the filter, never seen one like it before. It has a Bio-Wheel though. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• image-1680725123.jpg
    image-1680725123.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 46
Is this a good choice? Is it too big to fit around my intake tube?

Attachments

• image-2068796574.jpg
    image-2068796574.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 45
Is this a good choice? Is it too big to fit around my intake tube?

I am not sure.... Is there any way you can measure your filter tube? I brought my filter in to the LFS so I could get one that fit perfectly.

I am not sure.... Is there any way you can measure your filter tube? I brought my filter in to the LFS so I could get one that fit perfectly.

The intake tube is only like 1/2-1" in diameter

Back
Top Bottom