ram eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sasikan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well good news bad news my rams laid eggs again yesterday this is the second time in 2 weeks. But once again the eggs are not good (all turned white)
This is my water: temp 84f TDS 75,conductivity 115, KH 0-50 3 drops to change colour GH 0-50 3 drops to change colour and PH 7.5
10-15% water change every day.
Are there any numbers in there that does not seem right for breeding rams?
thanks for any advice

Man, if it helps any, I'm frustrated for you. Sounds like you are doing everything right to me. Do you know what the parameters of the water they were breed in are? I wonder if getting closer to those parameters would be better than the "ideal" parameters.... just a thought. Probably a bad one.

Your numbers seem all good. The fish are happy and trying .
Look to the fishes diet next.
I know many say frozen blood worms aren't real good. I still haven't heard 1 convincing reason why yet from anyone besides internet spew from a non user [knows nothing or chooses not share more then opinion ] ?:whistle:
They are glad they are not ram breeders IMO.. Most consider beefheart the MOST FILTHY food available yet with other good choices readily available discus breeders will not crumble.
I think up to 50% of the water they change is because of their crappy food choice [the things we do for fish].:nono:
The frozen blood worms every ,every other day along with good pellet type food.
That is what and how I feed all my breeders right down to the swordtails.
Good food and good water..
If the fish were new to me I would pump them with food 6 times a day . If they have been with me breeding already 2-3 feedings a day is ample.

Tom, you're saying diet will affect the viability of eggs? I thought that was pretty much just due to water parameters and I suppose the male being fertile.

Tom, you're saying diet will affect the viability of eggs? I thought that was pretty much just due to water parameters and I suppose the male being fertile.
I have seen bad batches in between good ones with bonded pairs .
I think the fishes over all health plays a factor and exhaustion is no joke for rams .I have a pair that has fry and just laid eggs again 7 days later.
I do think giving the fish a food it will fill itself on helps .I don't eat real good ,but through eating enough[doritos ] and staying active I am still fit [ lean and mean !] ?:eek:
If you feed the best food and the fish does not eat it , does it matter on the nutritional value ? Many foods with 'high in nutritional value' also pass through the fish so fast that not a lot of it is absorbed. A good food will produce less waste as it is literally consumed by the fish and not just passed.
Also without anything but my own experience I endorse using vitamins weekly if not 2 times a week with food[ again blood worms for me].
I use the Boyds vita chem liquid .(y)
It takes a lot of energy for a female to produce hundreds of eggs so yea I think nutrition plays as much a role as water for egg viability.

On matching his rams to their previous parameters he has my rams ..(y) He is trying and doing well.
We did finally get eggs from just moving them to a new tank within a week twice now...:whistle:
Blood worms...:cool:

blood worms once a day freeze dried bloodworms flakes and pellets 4 times a day total 5 feeding but small feedings right ? does this sound ok? or wood you feed more bloodworms every day?

I fed the blood worm flakes but they seemed to mess my water ?
I feed frozen at least once daily and then my pellets [kens grow crumbles #2/3 ].
They should be fine with your food.
Do the fish look and act healthy?

I have seen bad batches in between good ones with bonded pairs .
I think the fishes over all health plays a factor and exhaustion is no joke for rams .I have a pair that has fry and just laid eggs again 7 days later.
I do think giving the fish a food it will fill itself on helps .I don't eat real good ,but through eating enough[doritos ] and staying active I am still fit [ lean and mean !] ?:eek:
If you feed the best food and the fish does not eat it , does it matter on the nutritional value ? Many foods with 'high in nutritional value' also pass through the fish so fast that not a lot of it is absorbed. A good food will produce less waste as it is literally consumed by the fish and not just passed.
Also without anything but my own experience I endorse using vitamins weekly if not 2 times a week with food[ again blood worms for me].
I use the Boyds vita chem liquid .(y)
It takes a lot of energy for a female to produce hundreds of eggs so yea I think nutrition plays as much a role as water for egg viability.

On matching his rams to their previous parameters he has my rams ..(y) He is trying and doing well.
We did finally get eggs from just moving them to a new tank within a week twice now...:whistle:
Blood worms...:cool:

Very interesting. I knew feeding lots of "good" foods would/could result in fish spawning, but never thought it could effect viability. I guess it makes sense though. I suppose it's not much different than prenatal vitamins.

Talking about feeding the best foods and fish not eating them.... reminds me, everybody raves about NLS, but I couldn't get my fish to touch the stuff.... although I don't have great results feeding any type of pellet. I primarily feed omega one flake, mixed with frozen blood worms/brine shrimp, veggie wafers (khulis), along with freeze dried tubifex and blood worms every once in a while.

my fish look very healthy they always rush to the front begging for food
i do not give vitamins ,what kind, and where can i buy in on the internet?
do you think vitamins would help ? like i said my fish look and act healthy

A ph of 7.5 might be to alcalin for hatching eggs right?
i am going to add peat moss to try and bring down the ph does anybody agree
or disagree with this?

A ph of 7.5 might be to alcalin for hatching eggs right?
i am going to add peat moss to try and bring down the ph does anybody agree
or disagree with this?

I have had wigglers with my ph being 7.4-7.6. It seems to me it isn't impossible to hatch eggs with a ph around 7.5, however I'd guess lowering it with peat would probably yield better results.

Back
Top Bottom