Ram laying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have done a 20% water change about an hour ago and my female ram has just layed about 40-50 eggs on the leaf of my plant, is there anything I need to do as it's the first time this has happened to me and I'm new to the whole thing????

When the fry are born the parents will get protective of the fry. You might want to move the eggs by using an old credit card to another tank if you have one. Or you can buy a floating hatchery and put them in there. They normally hatch within 48 hours and around 5 days should be free swimming.
If it is their first spawn the parents may not be experienced enough to care for the fry. If they mess up don't worry though they will probably spawn again. They will eventually gain the experience needed. If they don't you will need to remove the eggs and raise them yourself (there are a lot of sites on this).
It is possible that they might eat the eggs . Hope I helped. I guessed they were GBR?

Thank you samzter, what's the smallest tank I can get for this? Do I put both parents in with the fry?

I think so... If you want to :) you could put the fry in a 10-20 gallon grow out tank! :D

Do you think a 6 gallon hexagon tank would be ok just as a temporary measure until the fry are ready for my 94 litre tank?

Yeh sure that ought to be fine! :) I only said that just in case you were putting the parents with them

I borrowed a floating hatchery off my friend so your comment is much appreciated. I cut the leaf off the plant and put it in the hatchery, is that right? Thanks

This is the hatchery in my tank, not sure if I'm supposed to leave the fry on the leaf?

Attachments

• image-454437699.jpg
    image-454437699.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 80
Update on ram fry- after 48 hours in the hatchery, about 70% of the eggs have turned white which I have been told are empty??? Also been informed that the babies normally appear after 48 hours? Can anyone shed light on this? If I do get some hatchers, how long is it advisable to keep the new borns in the hatchery before moving them to an empty nursery tank? And when do I give them their first fry feed????

Update on ram fry- now all the eggs have turned white, I did notice a very small worm like creature in amongst them, very small. Would this be whats killing the eggs?

hey there, dont worry about it white eggs mean they wherent firtalised the trick with rams is the male fertalises the eggs after they are laid so maby the male didnt do his part but its all g they will get there

Back
Top Bottom