rams and breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so, my rams have laid eggs again. this is the 3rd time in the last month, maybe month and a half. My loach likes to eat the eggs, so I have not seen anything really live beyond the wiggler stage. here's my question: my male is really keen on his female. In fact he never seems to leave her alone. Will adding another female alleviate this problem? I have heard rams 'mate for life' so I wasn't sure if he'd even pay attention to the new female. My female now seems a bit harassed. I don't want her to stress out. Or should I separate him for a bit to another tank?

side note: its pretty cool to watch rams do their thing!!! :lol:

For now, you may want to separate him. I know adding a second female alleviates the problems for many fish species, I'm not sure with the rams.

I don't think adding a second female would help, as rams are typically monogamous. If they're currently breeding, it might even put another female in danger since they are conspecific aggressors (i.e. they pick on their own kind).

If you really think she needs a break, separate them for a while. I probably would leave them be, but make sure she has plenty of hiding places. Maybe add some new places for her to hide to give her some space.

WOW....Rams are a hot topic today.

Personally, I'd leave them be as well. I got lucky and managed to get a breeding pair of blues. In two month's they've nested three times. No fry, tank mates eat them. My male only seams to get a little aggresive towards the female when it's "that time" for lack of better words 8O Then again, my tank is heavily planted with several hiding spots. This might have something to do with it.

It truely is fasinating to watch a pair of breeding rams. Devoted little creatures.

WOW....Rams are a hot topic today.

Personally, I'd leave them be as well. I got lucky and managed to get a breeding pair of blues. In two month's they've nested three times. No fry, tank mates eat them. My male only seams to get a little aggresive towards the female when it's "that time" for lack of better words 8O Then again, my tank is heavily planted with several hiding spots. This might have something to do with it.

It truely is fasinating to watch a pair of breeding rams. Devoted little creatures.

hehe, well, with this guy, its always "that time". I separated her for a bit. I'll reintroduce them in a few days. Its planted pretty well, but he goes everywhere she does 24/7! Man I'll bet she wishes she had her own space! thanks guys!

Well, what can I say. Some males are pigs (could'nt help it after reading your sig) :lol:

Look on the bright side, your male should be displaying his beautiful colors 24/7 :p

I better quiet while I'm a head before commenting on the female. :twisted:

hehe well I thinking this vacation is doing her some good. the male certainly is a pig, he's quite the hog when it comes to food!

Hmm...my rams are trying to breed as well. The male is always showing its brilliant colors and finnage while the female usually stays dull (due to bullying from the male). I have stepped up my frozen food feedings (brine shrimp and bloodworms) and noticed that the female's colors have become brilliant at every feeding (and her abdomen has become quite swollen).

They laid eggs this afternoon and I never saw the male make any attempt to fertilize them but my loaches began to feast as well...the rams did fend for the eggs a bit but not well enough so I began to "protect" the eggs myself by scaring away any egg gobbling creatures.

Too bad it looks like my male ram seems to be eating the eggs...

Back
Top Bottom