Ramshorn snails Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well after getting my F8 puffer settled into it's new tank, I decided to get some live food(ramshorn snails) for my F8 puffer.

So I set up a 2.5 gallon bucket with a filter as well as a bubbler to provide oxygen for the little guys to breed, I also have algae wafers and vegetables to feed them with.(Quick question: How often do I feed the snails)

But,since it's my first time breeding any form of life at all, I hope to get some advice on what I'm doing wrong and what I should do.
Also,I heard snails need a source of calcium for them to breed will egg shells do the trick?
P.S I'm also afraid that the vegetable bought from the supermarket will contain chemicals which could possibly kill the snails any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You just need a few snails to be sure that there are a few males/females and soon you will have thousands of snails which can be used as food for frogs/crawfish.

You just need a few snails to be sure that there are a few males/females and soon you will have thousands of snails which can be used as food for frogs/crawfish.

Ramshorns are hermaphrodites so you practically need two snails and you're set for them to breed out of control very fast

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Use cuttlebone for calcium and feed a couple snails every other day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Snails like high quality fishfood. My ramshorn breed prolifically without veggies. Cuttlebone is a great idea for calcium. I second that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use cuttlebone for calcium and feed a couple snails every other day.

I have found crushed coral/dried live rock chunks work better.

I wouldn't worry much about the chemicals on vegetables, I just wash anything before it goes in the tank. Also try French style caned beans WITHOUT SALT ADDED!

I tried to explode my ramshorn population for my loaches and assassins in a bucket and they could have cared less. Didn't bother to reproduce noticeably. Tried to kill off a population by mass squishing in a 5g and they multiply like crazy.
They seem to love my massive clumps of java moss and bladderwort so maybe some plant matter would help. I've never provided cuttlebone or any calcium supplement to my snails and they've been fine, but I do have very hard water with lots of minerals.
I agree with Bren they seem to appreciate higher quality foodstuffs.

Back
Top Bottom