Rare Fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just curious but why do you think these fish are so rare? Are they sensitive? Are they a newly discovered species? Don't get me wrong, they look cool but I just don't get why they're so rare. If I saw them in someone's tank, I wouldn't really think twice about it. Just my two cents.

I'm just curious but why do you think these fish are so rare? Are they sensitive? Are they a newly discovered species? Don't get me wrong, they look cool but I just don't get why they're so rare. If I saw them in someone's tank, I wouldn't really think twice about it. Just my two cents.

I dont think they are rare I know they are. They are brand new to the hobby, the first batch ever of these was auctioned off early this spring on aqua bid the first group went for well over $500. There has only been 3-4 other auctions by the original breeder/collector who has since gone back to Europe. So the only ones in the US that have these fish are the winners of those couple o auctions and anyone local they may have shared them with.

Also these fish don't look like any other Poecilia in the hobby. I guess you really have to be into wild type Livebearers to get it. ;-)

Just because they don't LOOK like something unusual to most, doesn't mean they are not rare. They are rare in that not many people have them, but people want them. Supply & demand.

It's fun to see this. I live in Venezuela and you can find them literally in every river, pond, lake, etc. if you try to sell them people will think its a joke, here they are in such abundance my dad told me to set the ones I had in one of my tanks free. So I'm currently using that tank to raise zebra danios... By the way Venezuela's economy is the worst thanks to the government : (

It's fun to see this. I live in Venezuela and you can find them literally in every river, pond, lake, etc. if you try to sell them people will think its a joke, here they are in such abundance my dad told me to set the ones I had in one of my tanks free. So I'm currently using that tank to raise zebra danios... By the way Venezuela's economy is the worst thanks to the government : (

I would kill to be able to do that, i'll come visit and collect fish! Or send me some! ;-)

How much is a trip to Venezuela and how would you bring fish back to the US?

How much is a trip to Venezuela and how would you bring fish back to the US?

It's a 15-16 hour flight and costs roughly $1,700 for the flight there.

Depending on local laws you are able to collect fish for your own personal use, I forget the amount you're allowed to bring back with out filing lots of paper work. Before you leave pay a vet to write you a letter stating the fish are clean and free of diseases. Then when you come back into the states you have to come in to what I believe the call an international port and have fish and wildlife inspect your fish.

I'm still researching some of this because I want to go to Mexico, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Honduras and the Peruvian Amazon to collect some fish.

I meant to post this first thing this morning but alas I got distracted!

My largest female dropped again today! I knew she was getting close but she ended up dropping a week sooner that expected. Due to this fact she ended up dropping in the main tank with all the adults however I believe I saved 5-6 fry this time. Which brings my total amount of fry up to 20-25. I'm expecting my 2nd female to drop any day now!

Update:

Yesterday (8/14) I moved 14 Orange line fry from the grow out tank back with the adults, they should be sexable in about another 3-4 weeks.

Today (8/15) another female dropped fry, I counted another 14-15 fry. It looks like the batches are continually getting larger.

Another great surprise this morning too I found 8-10 Poecilia Velifera, Cenote Puerto Aventuras fry. These are the largest fry I've ever seen they are a solid 1/4" + and super stocky.

That's sooo cool! I have been looking for a project like this I might have to hunt some down and try to breed them carefully to keep a good genetic pool

That's sooo cool! I have been looking for a project like this I might have to hunt some down and try to breed them carefully to keep a good genetic pool

There are tons of rare livebearers that we've never seen in the US that people are keeping in Germany, you should import some!

If not ill have some orange lines for sale before to long.

Back
Top Bottom