Ready to pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackandwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just put my two pregnant platies in a nursery tank but I feel bad about the small space. Best I can tell they've been pregnant since about 4th of July. How long can they stay in the small space? How close are they to giving birth? Do they give birth all at once or are there still babies in them after there is a set of fry?

This is my first rodeo so I'd appreciate any and all wisdom and advice.

IMG_9561.jpg

You should provide cover like floating plants for fry.They will likely give birth at night or in early morning.
Both look to have a week or more before birth.
26-28 days being average for livebearers . They will look very squared off [full] before birth.
I am not a trap guy but if the tank stocking will not allow them to survive being born loose it is worth a try?

Nice hi fins !

You should provide cover like floating plants for fry.They will likely give birth at night or in early morning.
Both look to have a week or more before birth.
26-28 days being average for livebearers . They will look very squared off [full] before birth.
I am not a trap guy but if the tank stocking will not allow them to survive being born loose it is worth a try?

Nice hi fins !

Thank you!

I hate traps. Either they give birth prematurely or go way past there due date. Holding as long as possible.

I have tried almost evert trap they make. Not one of them is large enough except for a guppy. And I wouldn't even use one on my guppies.

The mortality rate is high on the pregnant females in a trap.

When I tried using them females died all the time. Now I tank birth I haven't lost a female in a very, very long time.

I haven't used a trap in years. The only one that half way worked was the large net one.

On the net one you have to use a lot of plants in the net or the artificial grass plastic grass matt cut to fit tightly in the net 2in above the bottom.

The baby fish will fall into it and go through it. The mother cant get to them. I also add 2 plastic Lg. grass balls that the babies can duck into.

I have found this to be the best and least stressful on pregnant live bearing fish. If you must segregate your fish for birthing this is the method I would use.

I breed live bearing fish on purpose.

I hate traps. Either they give birth prematurely or go way past there due date. Holding as long as possible.

I have tried almost evert trap they make. Not one of them is large enough except for a guppy. And I wouldn't even use one on my guppies.

The mortality rate is high on the pregnant females in a trap.

When I tried using them females died all the time. Now I tank birth I haven't lost a female in a very, very long time.

I haven't used a trap in years. The only one that half way worked was the large net one.

On the net one you have to use a lot of plants in the net or the artificial grass plastic grass matt cut to fit tightly in the net 2in above the bottom.

The baby fish will fall into it and go through it. The mother cant get to them. I also add 2 plastic Lg. grass balls that the babies can duck into.

I have found this to be the best and least stressful on pregnant live bearing fish. If you must segregate your fish for birthing this is the method I would use.

I breed live bearing fish on purpose.

Oh wow. I didn't realize it would cause mortality. In any case I took them out after a few minutes. I sunk the trap in the tank, giving the babies some place to hide. There just wasn't anywhere they could absolutely stay safe in the tank. Now at least they have a chance.

I just lifted my grass matt in my breeder tank. I have about a hundred newborns in it.

My larger babies are all ready swimming with the adults.

You can get the grass matts on ebay for about $2.65 a matt free shipping.
Under plastic aquarium plants. check world wide. A whole selection will open up.

I have about 100 matts. I use them in my breeding pools and tanks.

I use the heavy elongated shot weights sinkers to weigh them down.

Its a proven baby saver. I have not seen baby mollies swim in top cover unless there is no bottom cover to hide in.

Its to easy for the lg. fish to pick the babies off in top floating plants.

I always know when females are going to give birth. They stay in planted side of the tank. They don't swim with the other fish.

They wait for the food to drift into the plants then eat.

You can just leave the matt in until the young are big enough to swim with the other fish or remove it and try and catch the babies.

I hope this helps you.

I just lifted my grass matt in my breeder tank. I have about a hundred newborns in it.

My larger babies are all ready swimming with the adults.

You can get the grass matts on ebay for about $2.65 a matt free shipping.
Under plastic aquarium plants. check world wide. A whole selection will open up.

I have about 100 matts. I use them in my breeding pools and tanks.

I use the heavy elongated shot weights sinkers to weigh them down.

Its a proven baby saver. I have not seen baby mollies swim in top cover unless there is no bottom cover to hide in.

Its to easy for the lg. fish to pick the babies off in top floating plants.

I always know when females are going to give birth. They stay in planted side of the tank. They don't swim with the other fish.

They wait for the food to drift into the plants then eat.

You can just leave the matt in until the young are big enough to swim with the other fish or remove it and try and catch the babies.

I hope this helps you.

This is great advice. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I'll definitely look into it.

Back
Top Bottom