red gruppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amy
fingers crossed for you hopefully everything alright.

thanks for info I dont have CAE in my tank and actually never seen one at my LFS yet.

thats pretty bad luck for the guppies getting stuck in the filters..outch..

everything seems fine in the tank I will move the tigar barb I have as I think its just nipping away at every other fishs fin but only got a small tank . cant leave it there alone so maybe ill get some more tigar barbs 20l tank aint big but what can I do?

yeah some lfs just dont do the research its all business business to them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That seems to be just over five gallons, and that's pretty small, I would use aqadvisor to see what your options are. From what I've read, barbs do better in groups of five or more, because of their tendency to annoy the other fish. In groups they keep the antics mostly amongst each other.

My best advice is to move the barb to a 10g tank minimum. It will be easier to maintain and they're not too expensive. Your sole little guppy will be quite happy with 3 girls to chase. four guppies and a snail or shrimp should be fine in five gallons. You'll be fully stocked though.

I'm sorry your boy died. He was pretty. I'm sorry if I seemed condescending in my first few responses. I wasn't trying to be. I have had LOTs of guppies and fry in the past, but I didn't keep them properly, I was ignorant and stubborn. I kept them in giant 3-5 gallon vases with bamboo. My guppies did okay but it was probably a sad life. And oddly since getting my first 30g I haven't had much luck.

Sent from my iPhone

hi there... as i mentioned about watching his belly (dropsy) at first can easily be mistaken for pregnant guppy.. I am by far expert but have ALOT of experience with dying guppies. I have lost several (at least a dozen in a couple month time frame). It got to the point where i could look at them and know they were going to die. although baffled as to what was causing the problem as i have a variety of Tetras and none of them had issues... well after a couple of posts, mad amounts of reading, someone here had the same problem and asked if i had a Chinese Algae eater. Well when i woke up the next morning i googled CAE images, low and behold i had one.. Now keep in mind this was going on for well over a month. I checked water, did huge water changes, got rid of an angel fish, moved 2 fish into another tank. Well dont you know when i got rid of the CAE i had no more mystery guppy deaths. I have had a couple, both by their tail fin getting stuck in the filter and chewing it up, poor fellows.. So i am not sure what to do about that. I do have another tank but it needs to be set up and all, i will move the guppies into that so i will have a guppy and endler tank and the tank for the tetras, then my African Albino Frog and goldfish in the last tank... Now i need to figure out how to filter and not have the guppies tail fins get caught in there.....
By the way, i think the mama to be lost her fry last night. the boys just wouldnt leave her alone.. my fingers are crossed that i am wrong.. should find out very soon, shes been pregnant for a while now..
so note: when buying sucker fish, ground feeders whatever you call them , DO NOT get a Chinese Algae Eater!!!! my lfs has several in with their guppies and i told them wht i learned but they have yet to move them, every time i go there i see at least 5 dead guppies. :( its a shame

I too have a fish missing a piece of it's tail. Mine is a neon, what I've read is that all they need to heal is a good varied diet and perfect water. So my plan is to change the water in the 10g three times a week. And alternate with tropical flakes, mosquito larve, vegetarian flakes, some baby brine shrimp, micro worms.

As for them being torn up by the filter, did you see then stuck? Maybe you can decrease the flow or get a sponge adaptor to cover the intake? I've even heard of using pantyhose with a zip tie. I wonder though if your filter is too powerful for your tank? You should probably make a separate post and get the experts to chime in on that. (My bf is the one in charge of hard ware and plants in our tanks and I mostly deal with the live stock and breeding so I wouldn't know what is good)

As for the CAE, you have to be careful because I've seen pet stores label them as ottos. If you're looking for good algae control I would try to use nerite snails and amono shrimp. Both of these are pretty peaceful. If you have the space and the right kind of algae ottos are a great choice too but a little more trouble to keep alive.

What kind of tetras are you keeping with guppies?

Sent from my iPhone

I checked out my tank model and yeah its exactly 5 gallon, its small your right. thank you for the website below i put in all the numbers advises me on shrimp and betta. based on the website its not ideal for 3 x gruppy even! ? :fish2:

My main community tank is only 20G currently have 1 x tigar barb | 2 x silver dollar | 1 x diono | 1 x Albino Tiger Barb | 1 x Black Sailfin Molly | 1 x blue Gruppy. some of these guys i inherited from a friend.

how would you move then about, i can see the tigar barb and albina barb chasing the silver dollars now. i need to move these guys somewhere.

you did not seem condescending haha but i'm new and im learning :) its always a pleasure to have someone with experience respond back. i appreciate the response.

talking about ignorance well a friend has given me her fish tank while away and its god knows a 7-10 litre small tank with one angel fish and an awesome black ghost but its so tiny, i had no idea she had these, i made her aware that this tank is really really reallly small for these awesome looking fish but she wants me to take them and frankly i can't either! unless i move all my fish out!.

the tank still here i'll send a picture of it if you like.

That seems to be just over five gallons, and that's pretty small, I would use aqadvisor to see what your options are. From what I've read, barbs do better in groups of five or more, because of their tendency to annoy the other fish. In groups they keep the antics mostly amongst each other.

My best advice is to move the barb to a 10g tank minimum. It will be easier to maintain and they're not too expensive. Your sole little guppy will be quite happy with 3 girls to chase. four guppies and a snail or shrimp should be fine in five gallons. You'll be fully stocked though.

I'm sorry your boy died. He was pretty. I'm sorry if I seemed condescending in my first few responses. I wasn't trying to be. I have had LOTs of guppies and fry in the past, but I didn't keep them properly, I was ignorant and stubborn. I kept them in giant 3-5 gallon vases with bamboo. My guppies did okay but it was probably a sad life. And oddly since getting my first 30g I haven't had much luck.

Sent from my iPhone

I too have a fish missing a piece of it's tail. Mine is a neon, what I've read is that all they need to heal is a good varied diet and perfect water. So my plan is to change the water in the 10g three times a week. And alternate with tropical flakes, mosquito larve, vegetarian flakes, some baby brine shrimp, micro worms.

As for them being torn up by the filter, did you see then stuck? Maybe you can decrease the flow or get a sponge adaptor to cover the intake? I've even heard of using pantyhose with a zip tie. I wonder though if your filter is too powerful for your tank? You should probably make a separate post and get the experts to chime in on that. (My bf is the one in charge of hard ware and plants in our tanks and I mostly deal with the live stock and breeding so I wouldn't know what is good)

As for the CAE, you have to be careful because I've seen pet stores label them as ottos. If you're looking for good algae control I would try to use nerite snails and amono shrimp. Both of these are pretty peaceful. If you have the space and the right kind of algae ottos are a great choice too but a little more trouble to keep alive.

What kind of tetras are you keeping with guppies?

Hey Emily, I purchased the set up for 29 gallon. I dont know much about filters either, I am wondering if possibly because I have the airstone not far from the filter if that is pushing the guppies to the filter. I since have put a netting over the slotted part of the filter and rinse that off daily or every other day as needed. you ask what tetras are in the 29 gal, i have a few differant kinds i have 3 white skirt, 3 black skirt, 3 x ray, 3 albino. as for the ones getting stuck in the filter yes i see them. they are there when they died. i tried to save one i saw it happen to but idk how long he was there but i ended up losing him. I have another 29 gal that i am setting up. I have a filter on order and then i will be transferring the guppies and endlers to that tank. as for the CAE, the stores that I buy from didnt even know there was a CAE, they have told me that the algae eaters are peaceful fish, and that it wasnt possible they would be harming the guppies. well low and behold 1 store had a bunch in w/ the female guppies and they were dying fast. I found 5 dead in a matter of the half hour i was shopping. finally a week after i told them they moved all the CAE and no dead guppies, another store thanked me for letting her know.

Back
Top Bottom