Reproduction Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Advanced

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I been reading sooo many pages about Mollies and Guppies having fry/babies but all say a different answer, i tried asking people on MyAquariumClub.com but they are no help they tell you to look it up. Even the people who work the page. They blocked me so here i am trying to get the real answers as i dont know what on the internet to believe.
QUESTION:
After conception, how long until my mollies (dalmation&black) pop fry? I wrote down when was the last time i had fry and the next time i had my next ones after.. It took 2 exact months for my dalmation molly to give fry. Is that my answer?? 2Months? I read it was 2 weeks and 3 months.
My one year old black molly is extremely pregnant and in fact is her first pregnancy. Her birthing tube is ginornous and in fact it is open. Been visible for a 2weeks and is open now. Do i wait 7 days??
Can someone explain the cycle? So that i know that every exact 2 months to put my pregnant mollies in the breeder.

I been reading sooo many pages about Mollies and Guppies having fry/babies but all say a different answer, i tried asking people on MyAquariumClub.com but they are no help they tell you to look it up. Even the people who work the page. They blocked me so here i am trying to get the real answers as i dont know what on the internet to believe.
QUESTION:
After conception, how long until my mollies (dalmation&black) pop fry? I wrote down when was the last time i had fry and the next time i had my next ones after.. It took 2 exact months for my dalmation molly to give fry. Is that my answer?? 2Months? I read it was 2 weeks and 3 months.
My one year old black molly is extremely pregnant and in fact is her first pregnancy. Her birthing tube is ginornous and in fact it is open. Been visible for a 2weeks and is open now. Do i wait 7 days??
Can someone explain the cycle? So that i know that every exact 2 months to put my pregnant mollies in the breeder.

There is no exact time. Gestation depends on a number of factors and chances are you will not have the exact same circumstances and conditions every time so the times will differ from batch to batch. The best you can get is an average and be prepared for the earliest time you COULD have a birth and wait until it actually happens.
One of the issues is that the females can hold their fry until they feel it is safe for the fry to be born. If your fish are in a community tank, I'd suggest either setting up a divider and leave the female on one side with a lot of floating plants on her side then remove the fry, once born, into the breeder box OR into another tank OR after giving birth, put the female into the breeder for the day to recuperate then release her back to the other side of the divider. Once she gives birth, the female's job for the fry is done so there is no need for her to be with them.
If the fish is by herself in a tank, make sure there is enough floating plants for the fry to hide in and keep the conditions in the tank as clean as possible while you wait for her to give birth. You might also want to dim the lighting so that she can give birth under the security of low lighting. This will help her think her fry will have a better chance of surviving.

Hope this helps. (y)

Lol still have the same problem.. I got a white molly becausr they look eaiser than the darker ones and... Shes lost her gravid spot after 5 days. Now its been 8days... Odd. Because i been counting 5 previously a few times. And kept loosing fry and soo i have also lost adult mollies.. My male died. Soo i should have about 8 more months/batches to learn. Or else.. Ill have to buy another male or pregnant female. I prefer another female. Ill figure it out soon and thank you for your reply. Thats the hardest job ever.. But at least i know they are like bunny rabbits. In a way. Soo one day i wont run out of fish. I dont want to be fishless. I have old fish

Sent from my LGMS330 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds like you really need to look into why you are losing the fry because if you are continuously losing the fry to death ( not from getting eaten), that's a sign that something is not "right" with where they are being born into. What are your water parameters and your maintenance schedule look like?

No theres nothing wrong with my parameters. I have raised fry sucessfully many times. I have raised all of my fry once i found them only two fry are ones that got squashed by a mossball. I have not lost fry other than from before finding them. And i did mention all of this.. Maybe i wasnt explaining right. But i am sure i mentioned that

I currently have 9 batches who are at most 6 months and at least 3 days old. And still trying not to loose fry from birth is why i been keeping my current pregnant molly in a breeder since 4days now. If i let her out and let her birth with the reat of the mollies they will be eaten. My black female molly nevwr ever had babies. Never idk if shes too young but anyhow. Shr eats them. She also bit the tail off my only male and probably killed him. Or died of old age but i was on vacay soo i dont have evidence of that. I just know she was mean to him. My other females are good. And they give birth to their babies and i only find a few. Someone has to eat them. But imma prepare a bucket... I dont know how to do this... But... I gotta do what i gotta do to save those babies. My friend always gets fish from me. They are healthy. They never die on 'em.

I put her in a bucket. With lots of plants. I added one cup of warm water. And its raining outside. I added 2liters of the water from her old aquarium. Because she is past due and she didnt want to give birth in the breeder none of them(molies) have in the past the present nor will they in the future. Soo i do plan to keep them for my fry. They never mind it. I keep them in there for one month at the most. Then i take them out and watch them for 24 hours. But i havent done so with all the recent batches because since i have different sized mollies they will blend in easily. I dont have to worry anymore. Until i have to give some mollies away to a friend who has reserved the darker colored mollies. Wish i could show pictures

I only find 3 sometimes. 2 most of the time. And 5rarely. 5 is the number of fry i have found the most. 2 is the amount i get more frequently. I dont want to keep getting fry in the tank with the rest of my fish. Because i never find them and i dont want to keep my fish in a breeder forever.. I dont want to kill her from stress.

No theres nothing wrong with my parameters. I have raised fry sucessfully many times. I have raised all of my fry once i found them only two fry are ones that got squashed by a mossball. I have not lost fry other than from before finding them. And i did mention all of this.. Maybe i wasnt explaining right. But i am sure i mentioned that

Sorry for the confusion. I only read about dying fry and adults Didn't see much mention of successful spawns lasting for long.

Loosing or dying fry? Lol now i see your confusion. Thats fine. Im always looking for signs of abortion, but... She really does give birth. I have to check on her every hour instead of my usual sitting by the aquarium for 3-5hours.

Back
Top Bottom