Return of the fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
once again, molly fry have graced my tank.

i came home this evening to find 10 baby mollies in the tank. i caught them and put them in the breeder. i tried feeding them, but they don't know what food is yet. they are a nice red color with these, almost, neon green eyes.

originally i had only fished out 8, but when i came back being out of doors, i found two swimming against the breeder trying to get in with their friends.

let's see if i can keep a couple alive this time around.

here's a question,

they are in a plastic breeder right now, but i find the uneaten bits of flakes collect at the bottom (they haven't learned its food yet). if these flakes begin to break down, will that concentrate the ammonia in the plastic breeder and kill the fish?

should i clean the breeder after feeding? how should i clean it without releasing the fish?

Thanks,

great idea, thanks!

man rich, i'm going to have to start paying you as my fish consultant.

Try crumbling the flakes if you haven't already. It'll be easier for them to eat it that way.

thanks for the info.

the flakes are, indeed, crushed and i feed them by dipping a tooth pick in water, then the flake bag and then in the breeder. they have learned what food is, now i'm just waiting for them to start eating the flakes off of the toothpick.

here's a dilema.

the ich in the tank with the fry have returned. i noticed it last night. luckily, i've been running a second filter on the tank for 6 weeks now. last night i moved that filter into the new ten gal and filled 'er up. i turned the temp up to 90 on the new tank and added a pinch of flakes for the bacteria. it's going through a mini cycle right now, but i expect the levels to be good by this evening.

here's my concern, if i put the fry breeder in the new tank, will the fry produce enough ammonia to keep the cycle or will i constantly be going through a mini cycle?

i've also though about running out and adding a fish or two to the new 10 gal along with the fry. would this be a good idea?

i just don't want the ich to hurt the fry. opinions on my current course of action?

Thanks!

i hate to "bump" this, but the new 10 gal has almost completed it's mini cycle and i'm wondering if the fry would do better in their own tank.

would the fry produce enough ammonia to seed the bacteria?

They would be happier in their own tank. They will produce ammonia commiserate with the waste they produce. As they grow the bacteria will keep up with them.

Back
Top Bottom