Rummy nose redo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcarolinex3

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Rummy Nose Tetra laid eggs almost a week ago and they weren't fertile. I would like to try to get them to spawn again (fertile this time). I fed them some brine shrimp that were going to be for the fry. Any suggestions on how to get fertile eggs this time?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401858417.658954.jpg

Tetra eggs are photosensitive so the light may have killed the eggs. What I did when I was breeding Tetras was to put the breeding tank near a window but only so it got indirect light not direct light. This way, the fish could see if it was dawn or dusk which is when they mostly spawn. Then, after removing the breeders from the tank, I kept the tank dark for the week and only started searching the tank for fry after then. make sure you have green water or infusoria to feed these fry as they are going to be very small. Once you see the fry in the tank, you can then start using dim lights on the tank for a few days until the fry get used to the light then you can go with brighter lighting.

Hope this helps

Tetra eggs are photosensitive so the light may have killed the eggs. What I did when I was breeding Tetras was to put the breeding tank near a window but only so it got indirect light not direct light. This way, the fish could see if it was dawn or dusk which is when they mostly spawn. Then, after removing the breeders from the tank, I kept the tank dark for the week and only started searching the tank for fry after then. make sure you have green water or infusoria to feed these fry as they are going to be very small. Once you see the fry in the tank, you can then start using dim lights on the tank for a few days until the fry get used to the light then you can go with brighter lighting.

Hope this helps

Ah that's probably what happened I kept looking for them with a bright light. Helps so much! Thank you!

Ah that's probably what happened I kept looking for them with a bright light. Helps so much! Thank you!

I set up another breeding tank and am going to try to breed my tetras again. Should I put the whole school in the tank or just a male and a female?

I only did pairs because I was only using a 5 gal tank and the pair would only be in there for a couple of days at the most. The upside of group spawning is that you are almost certain to have a pair. The downside is if the whole school isn't ready to spawn or participate in the spawn, they can and will eat the eggs. This is another reason why I did specific pairs. They are pretty easy to sex if they are ready. The female will be plump, the male long and slender. If you can't tell the differences in the sexes, they are probably not ready to go into the spawning tank yet. (IMO )

Hope this helps

They're very easy to tell apart! I have 3 female and 5 male. I'm hoping maybe I can get more than one set of eggs

What temperature should I keep the breeding tank at I've read a range of 72-86 and that is a big range!!!

Back
Top Bottom