Sad Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well today I'm watching my fish as usual and I notice that one of my long finned leopard danios appeared to be preggo; but the stomach wasn't too fat.
Well anyway, I took my shower, got dressed and right when I was about to leave for work, I took one last look at my tank and found a little baby danio swimming around by itself. Assuming the rest had been eaten or sucked up by the filter I quickly took out my net to grab it and seperate it from the fish/filter. Welp, as soon as I went to grab that net there it went right up the filter :x It really upset me because I never thought my danios would mate; they were always too busy chasing each other. And plus, I've never had fish have babies :cry:
Maybe next time...

Lesson Learned:

Turn the filter off as soon as I see a baby.
-Dan

that is sad....but, the good thing is - if they mated once, chances are, they will again. If you even suspect a baby coming, get a net-cover for your filter to prevent the same thing from happening again.

I always keep a sponge over my filter intake on my tank where babies are--not hard to clean and I haven't lost any young ones!

Well even if I were to keep the babies, I dont know exactly what I would do with them because I plan on having other fish in my tank. I can always just buy a seperate tank for them and give them to the LFS but I dont know if it would even be worth my while.

is there a DIY way to make a cover?? I don't have any expected babies, but leaves and roots seem to make their way over into my filter after I clean the tank, and I'm sure that isn't necessarily good for the filter.

Menagerie said:
You owe it to yourself to raise one batch of fry! After that, let nature take it's course :wink:

You bring up a good point. I could only imagine the sense of accomplishment after they're all grown and healthy.

Whats an easy/inexpensive way to raise them? I have to give them proper filtration right? Can I just put them in a 5 gallon with a small filter or something?
I understand there are lots of babies, so there may not be room.

I cant afford and dont have the room to setup another 10gal right now.

What do you guys do when you raise fry?

Rubysoho- you can take an AC sponge (mini works well) and cut an X into it with a sharp blade and shove it over the intake, replacing the strainer type attachment. You have to rinse it out every other day or so, as it becomes a prefilter, but it works very well.

I let fry fend for themselves usually, except I have been selling my Endler's. I have several generations of white clouds and working on my second generation of serpae tetras. If they make it, they join the school - it is very cool!

TankGirl said:
I let fry fend for themselves usually,

Same here....sort of culling, I suppose.....and whenever I open up the AC filter on the molly tank in the first three weeks after a spawn, I find 2-3 fry merrily swimming about in the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom