Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Save a baby platy

One baby platy survived our latest brood. She was in a breeding net but the other fish were stressing her at feeding time, so I decided to move her into a small 15 litre tank of her own.

This tank was *not* cycled. However I figured that the bioload created by one baby would not be an issue.

I did put in a small piece of filter from our main tank, as well as some gravel, to hopefully absorb any ammonia the little one created.

I noticed this evening that my daughter has been overfeeding, and there is quite a lot of food on floor of tank. Worried, I did an ammonia and nitrite check. There are no nitrites, but there *is* ammonia, about 1ppm.

I am somewhat limited as to what I can di now - daughter is asleep, and has a cold, so I don't want to disturb her- I can't do a proper water change.

For now, I have taken a bit more filter from the main tank, and put a capful of niteout in the baby tank. I also exchanged about 6 cups of water between the 2 tanks, figuring the 100litre one could handle the ammonia.

My options in the morning are to put baby back in breeding net, or do as big a water change as possible and continue doing large ones in baby tank. I am worried that will stress her though.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can put it in the breeding net unless you have the mom in there then just leave it in the tank by itself and do a water change. But yeah since it's a baby you'll want to do whatever is less stressful.

Tags
baby, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com