Save a baby platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nphsmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One baby platy survived our latest brood. She was in a breeding net but the other fish were stressing her at feeding time, so I decided to move her into a small 15 litre tank of her own.

This tank was *not* cycled. However I figured that the bioload created by one baby would not be an issue.

I did put in a small piece of filter from our main tank, as well as some gravel, to hopefully absorb any ammonia the little one created.

I noticed this evening that my daughter has been overfeeding, and there is quite a lot of food on floor of tank. Worried, I did an ammonia and nitrite check. There are no nitrites, but there *is* ammonia, about 1ppm.

I am somewhat limited as to what I can di now - daughter is asleep, and has a cold, so I don't want to disturb her- I can't do a proper water change.

For now, I have taken a bit more filter from the main tank, and put a capful of niteout in the baby tank. I also exchanged about 6 cups of water between the 2 tanks, figuring the 100litre one could handle the ammonia.

My options in the morning are to put baby back in breeding net, or do as big a water change as possible and continue doing large ones in baby tank. I am worried that will stress her though.

Any thoughts?

You can put it in the breeding net unless you have the mom in there then just leave it in the tank by itself and do a water change. But yeah since it's a baby you'll want to do whatever is less stressful.

Back
Top Bottom