Scoliosis/breeding question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swordtaillover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one little swordtail that has (unfortunately) scoliosis and I was wondering whether fish with scoliosis can breed or not? Any input would be great
Ps... Has anybody ever had their fish go lethargic for no apparent reason? (My temp is fine)

Hi Swordtail,

yes, fish with a spinal defect can still breed...however it is best to cull them at a young age once realizing that the fry has a deformity.

if this fish is no longer a fry, I would avoid attempts at using it as a breeder fish, since those genetic deformities will most likely get passed down to the next generation, along with overall weaker health among those babies.

Hope this helped!

It actually developed scoliosis (my fault for not getting proper bacteria built up [too many water changes]) it is now developing a fungus or maybe ich as well. Does fungus come in spots?

You can't see the bits if white. Sorry , using an iPod is not the best way to do things

Attachments

• image-2953644993.jpg
    image-2953644993.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 56
It is on the back (at least the most obvious spots are) and some along the side and belly

Aww poor little guy. How do you think it's your fault he has scoliosis?

Cus of stress. They can be born with it and they can get it from stress. I changed the water too much = not enough bacteria = stress

Back
Top Bottom