self sustainable aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
guppies and mollies dont eat snails.also,ADFs would probably starve to death.why would you stay away from crays?you need a predator,otherwise you would be overrun,if they didnt starve to death first.

I did something along the lines for science fair project. for the project I used a 2 liter bottle cut the round part of off the top of the bottle filled the bottom of the bottle with water and a goldfish. then plant a plant in the top of the bottle and when the roots grow down to the water that will sustain the gold fishes food I had this project running for 2 months before I move the goldfish into his own tank.

ldaniel said:
I did something along the lines for science fair project. for the project I used a 2 liter bottle cut the round part of off the top of the bottle filled the bottom of the bottle with water and a goldfish. then plant a plant in the top of the bottle and when the roots grow down to the water that will sustain the gold fishes food I had this project running for 2 months before I move the goldfish into his own tank.

No water changes???

No water changes. Where the two parts meet was sealed. I can't remember for the life of me what plants we used but the fish would eat parts of the roots and once the roots reached the water tue plant went nuts.
After the 2 months we stopped the experment. I will look tomorrow and see if I can find any of the data.

The thing about trying to create a self sustaining system is that there can not be any outside influences. i.e. a heater. so to do it right you would have to live in a really warm place or use a cooler water fish.

ldaniel said:
No water changes. Where the two parts meet was sealed. I can't remember for the life of me what plants we used but the fish would eat parts of the roots and once the roots reached the water tue plant went nuts.
After the 2 months we stopped the experment. I will look tomorrow and see if I can find any of the data.

That's like that Betta in a vase thing. Same idea. I don't know much about goldfish diet, but that was one of the major faults of the Betta vase. The Betta is a carnivore.

I think it would be very hard to do this, and with my luck I wouldn't try, but it sounds cool.

I would like to try this in a slightly larger scale. I would look into using a 2.5g tank and using screen with a bottomless vase on top. With any luck, should this project ever get started, everything will be healthy and would show signs of growth. It will have to be placed in a sun light window though.

ldaniel said:
I would like to try this in a slightly larger scale. I would look into using a 2.5g tank and using screen with a bottomless vase on top. With any luck, should this project ever get started, everything will be healthy and would show signs of growth. It will have to be placed in a sun light window though.

What would you put in the tank? Or rather, pm me so we don't hijack the thread.

There was a company that did this sort of thing back a few years ago. Mostly larger scale although they did do residential setups. They had one they showed us that contained a humming bird (cost around $16,000.00). The idea is that chaos will eventually balance things out.

alLexX said:
guppies and mollies dont eat snails.also,ADFs would probably starve to death.why would you stay away from crays?you need a predator,otherwise you would be overrun,if they didnt starve to death first.

Ok first u obviously have to feed the fish and frogs something or the babys die if malnutrition. And I have found that crayfish are a pain in the @&&$$. Also if u wanted to put a predator u need a tank over 300gal with lots of hidy holes or an overgrown pond.

BillD said:
There was a company that did this sort of thing back a few years ago. Mostly larger scale although they did do residential setups. They had one they showed us that contained a humming bird (cost around $16,000.00). The idea is that chaos will eventually balance things out.

Actualy it's called ether a climax community or natural equilibrium

Ok first u obviously have to feed the fish and frogs something or the babys die if malnutrition. And I have found that crayfish are a pain in the @&&$$. Also if u wanted to put a predator u need a tank over 300gal with lots of hidy holes or an overgrown pond.
300 gallons!?!?not for a crayfish.and you would get a male and female cray,so they would breed,and the fish would eat there babies and the little crayfish.and i said no frogs.

alLexX said:
300 gallons!?!?not for a crayfish.and you would get a male and female cray,so they would breed,and the fish would eat there babies and the little crayfish.and i said no frogs.

No not for da cray for da preditor. Like an oscer or idk

I have some rcs snails in a ten gallon and i never have to feed them. Every once in a while ill crush some snails. The shrimp love to eat them and it helps kepp the snail population in check. Feed the rcs until they start breeding though.

Back
Top Bottom