Serpae Tetras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitroglyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if someone could tell me some information about these little fishes. I have 6 of them, no clue if they are male or female. I have had them for a year and a half. How old do they have to be before they will start breeding? Is there a way that I can tell the females from the males? And is it normal for them to just hover in a school? The reason I ask is that is all they do... eat, and stay put till I get close to the tank, then they scatter like roaches. Any advice would be great.

Mine too

I have 10 of these, and mine pretty much act the same way. Although sometimes they split up into different groups. I'd like to know how to tell the sexes as well.

After sexual maturity (usually around 8 months), the female will start to grow larger and plumper than the males. Adult fish are easy to distinguish.

Sounds like they are acting like the prey fish that they are. lol How heavily decorated is the tank? Usually the more plants, decor, and hiding places they have the more comfortable they will feel. Then you'll see them venture out individually from the school.

Back
Top Bottom