Sexing Angel Fsh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one angel fish( its friend died a while back and I want to get it it a new companion, but I don't know it's gender. How can I tell the difference between a male and a female angel so I know which gender to get.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Male:
1. Large circular body surface
2. Are large bump on their forehead

Female:
1. Small angular body and tend to look longer
2. Smaller bump on there forehead and doesn't really look like a bump :D
Hope that's some help :)

The only way to tell for sure is to see their breeding tubes, but those are only visible while breeding. Angelfish are difficult to sex definitively unless they are in the process of breeding.

I have one angel fish( its friend died a while back and I want to get it it a new companion, but I don't know it's gender. How can I tell the difference between a male and a female angel so I know which gender to get.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

One of the ways I used to sex adult Angels when the breeding tubes were not visible was by the angle of the anal fin. Females tend to have an anal fin that is 45 or so degrees from the body. The males are closer to 90 degrees. The female's anal fin will start further away from the anus while the male's starts almost at the anus. Males tend to be larger in size and some develope that hump on the forehead (but not all males have this.)
But the easiest way I've found is to look at the fish from above prior to being fed. Females produce eggs whether they are breeding or not. From above, a male will have a straight body line while a female will have a rounder bottom which is easier to see from above.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom