Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sexing angelfish

So a few weeks ago I picked up a pair of large angels at my lfs. The person who dumped them there claims they are a breeding pair, although the lfs had no proof. They do seem bonded, and follow eachother all around. There is some aggression (but perhaps actually spawning behavior?), and today I saw them in a lip lock, however no torn fins. I was hoping for some help, pics are attached. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455979835.806427.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	284950Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455979861.151207.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	284951

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Can't tell from those photos, since neither fish is showing a breeding tube. If they drop the female's will be larger and more blunt while the male will have one that is smaller in diameter, and pointed.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Marble looks female and the smokey looks male. No guarantees, you will just have to wait until they spawn to be sure.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's what I was thinking too. I'll just have to wait to know for sure until they spawn, which will hopefully be soon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyti View Post
The Marble looks female and the smokey looks male. No guarantees, you will just have to wait until they spawn to be sure.

I agree with this

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The marble one (the black one) looks male to me. And the other one is female. Btw, wonder what will happen if u breed a full black angel with platinum angel?? xD

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfalcon View Post
The marble one (the black one) looks male to me. And the other one is female. Btw, wonder what will happen if u breed a full black angel with platinum angel?? xD
If by "full black" you mean double dark, no matter what you breed it with all the offspring will be black.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Based on these pics, I'd say the Marble is female and the Smokey is male. No guarantees but looking good. In today's Angelfish, normal sexing tools go out the window as there are many cases of fish showing opposite gender external characteristics. Once the tubes show, then you will know for sure.
Keep in mind that when you move breeding pairs around, it can take some time for them to get readjusted to the new surroundings and it doesn't always mean that they will spawn again. The best you can do is provide the best possible scenario for spawning for the fish and let nature take it's course.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I heard giving them brine shrimps can help them get in the mood again (or other live food), is that true?? And put a few plants inside the breeding tank as well might help

Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfalcon View Post
I heard giving them brine shrimps can help them get in the mood again (or other live food), is that true?? And put a few plants inside the breeding tank as well might help

It's not doing 1 thing or another( ie adding food or plants, or a spawning site or doing water changes or providing security alone,) it's doing all those things that increases the chances they will spawn again. You can condition the pair with any kind of higher quality foods not just live. Plants are actually that last thing you want to add if you intend on removing the spawn to hatch out yourself. You keep the spawning sites to a minimum so that they hopefully choose what you have supplied and that can be easily removed from the tank. All my pairs are in bare tanks with a slate and 1 plastic plant that is of a fine leaved plant so the only place they usually spawn on is the slate which I remove. But all my breeders are up on the top rows so there is little foot traffic in front of them. THAT ( foot traffic) alone can stop a pair from spawning.

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, sexing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com