Sexing electric yellow labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you sex electric yellow labs cichlid ? All I know is male is larger than female all info accepted :)

I want to know the answer to this same question but from what I've been able to find out they're pretty hard to sex. The only sure way to find out is to "vent" them. You can find alot of articles on how to do this. If you find out anything else let me know because I need to find out if our lab is a male or female.

I also have heard that the males have more black on their fins but this definitely isn't a failsafe method.
Good luck. :)

Maxkolbe said:
I want to know the answer to this same question but from what I've been able to find out they're pretty hard to sex. The only sure way to find out is to "vent" them. You can find alot of articles on how to do this. If you find out anything else let me know because I need to find out if our lab is a male or female.

Good luck. :)

Oh ok thanks! I wanna breed them that's why plus I got 2 right now. Will try to vent though I guess can't look good.

thats the easiest way, but u can look wierd and do it by sitting on the floor pretty much under the tank so u can look up and see their bellies. warning - if u do the floor thing, u REALLY have to be able to tell the difference cos u wont have long to look haha! x

One of my yellow labs have a spot almost looks like a egg and its a way to tell if its a female saw it in a video. Its to trick male to fertilize it and mate. Plus red females dont have black on anal fin.

Maxkolbe said:
Yeah, but the males tend to have more.

Agreed. So all I know so far is males are larger and brighter yellow than female plus have more egg spots. All I know for sure. Female: 4 inches and male up to 5 inches all grown up.

my male red zebra had 2 egg spots. my female had well over 8, and a load of small ones. i dont think egg spots are reliable :L

and actually, dominant males tend to go much darker, almost a dun yellow, with faint black barring on their belly and black around eyes/fins. females sometimes become very dominant in a tank and take on these colours too. i connot fully stress how you cant judge a male from a female from egg spots and colours. venting is the SURE way.
and the size thing? false. give them a larger tank and they both can grow bigger. give them a too small tank and they will stunt and not hit their full size.
sorry but only fish like demasoni and kenyi who have diff fem and male colours are the easy ones to determine! xx

Back
Top Bottom