Sexing GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moose9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked these guys up 5 days ago, for my second go at GBR, very nice fish, so im hoping for a little luck on them, i was told my the fish store guy that i got a male and a female, have a look and let me know if thats the case

img_653440_0_fe78a828a014994e484d922154b5ed68.jpg

img_653440_1_0f76a5ec5f44c0cf9125fecc63f256a5.jpg

they look almost identical to me, one is a little smaller, i know im looking for pink bellies, cant seem to find it though

Looks like 2 males to me. Another way to tell, from what someone else told me, is if the lower front fins (below the gills) extend past the lower back fin (anal fin), they are male. And yours look like males to me. My female has a much shorter front fins, and don't even come close to the lower back fin. Also, females will have a pink belly.

Nice loooking fish. Now you need 3 females... :)

ok thanks, i may head back to the fish store to get a female or 2, does anyone have pics of a female?

75g257.jpg

75g258.jpg

75g266.jpg

The female has the pink belly. The other 2 are males. See how short the front lower fins are in the 2nd pic?

Those are GBR's during mating. They really color up and display lots of things, to determine who gets the female. :) They are my GBR's. I now have fry in my 10G from their 2nd spawning.

yeah i can see the difference, thanks and really nice pics, i had trouble getting decent pics of these guys, the fins are quite a bit shorter and the pink belly is noticable, now i really wanna go down and pick up some females and try a hand at breeding these guys!!

moose9 said:
yeah i can see the difference, thanks and really nice pics, i had trouble getting decent pics of these guys, the fins are quite a bit shorter and the pink belly is noticable, now i really wanna go down and pick up some females and try a hand at breeding these guys!!

Oh, but there is something else you really, really need to know. If you are going to breed them, IT'S ADDICTIVE... LOL..... You will really enjoy it.... (y)

And if you need to know anything about how to care for the eggs and fry, let me know. Will be happy to walk you through it all. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
Now you need 3 females... :)

looks like...and maybe a new tank to keep them all in...

they are in a 35 now with a bunch of other fish that if i could breed them would cause problems, do you think it would be better to move them into a 20 gal that has only guppies in it...and how many could i have in a 20, man in getting hooked in these things

moose9 said:
Lonewolfblue said:

they are in a 35 now with a bunch of other fish that if i could breed them would cause problems, do you think it would be better to move them into a 20 gal that has only guppies in it...and how many could i have in a 20, man in getting hooked in these things

Here's what I did. After they layed their eggs and fertalized them, give them about 6 hours or so, then move the eggs to a 10G glass bottom with a sponge filter, and an airstone. Look at my link for my 10G in my sig to see my setup.

My GBR spawning is in my 75G Planted thread. And my Bolivian Ram spawning is in my 29G thread. Lots to read, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
moose9 said:
Lonewolfblue said:

Here's what I did. After they layed their eggs and fertalized them, give them about 6 hours or so, then move the eggs to a 10G glass bottom with a sponge filter, and an airstone. Look at my link for my 10G in my sig to see my setup.

My GBR spawning is in my 75G Planted thread. And my Bolivian Ram spawning is in my 29G thread. Lots to read, lol.

i have been reading them, good for you, it seems like youve had some luck with the rams, put int he hard work and are being rewarded, im going to get my hands on some females and try my luck

thanks for all the help, ill come to you with any of my GBR troubles and experinces, your really good with them

LBW question for you, my tank has a pH of ~7.7, and KH of 150ppm(8dh), what are your tanks at that yours breed at, from what ive read they like a lower pH, below 7, as low a 5.5, with a pH of 7.7 will they breed, i picked up a female today, and i think im going to take back one male ans swtich it for a female so i have a 2-1 ratio, with two males to one female, will they overstress her?

I loved those guys when I had them. They will breed at a higher PH though. My LFS had one for sale that was holding eggs and I know they don't do anything w/their water other than dechlorinate it.

Back
Top Bottom