Sexing Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bormsby17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four gouramis. I have a feeling they are all males, because all they do is chase each other around the tank. There is no bubble nest established.
I have attached pictures. Does anybody know how to sex them? And can the different types of gourami breed?

ForumRunner_20130310_104627.jpg
Gold Gourami

ForumRunner_20130310_104654.jpg
Opaline Gourami

ForumRunner_20130310_104828.jpg
Dwarf Gourami

ForumRunner_20130310_104903.jpg
Opaline Gourami

I have four gouramis. I have a feeling they are all males, because all they do is chase each other around the tank. There is no bubble nest established.
I have attached pictures. Does anybody know how to sex them? And can the different types of gourami breed?

View attachment 158329
Gold Gourami

View attachment 158330
Opaline Gourami

View attachment 158331
Dwarf Gourami

View attachment 158332
Opaline Gourami

It looks like you are right, they are all males. The Dwarf is a male based on his coloration. Female dwarfs don't have that coloration.
As for the Gold and Opaline, Males have a longer more pointed dorsal fin whereas the female's dorsal is smaller and more rounded. Females also carry their eggs which makes them have a much rounder appearance in their midsection.

As for can they interbreed? The Gold and Opaline are both color morphs of the original Blue gourami so yes they can and do interbreed. However, you are not really breeding different species like you would be if you bred the Dwarf to either the Gold or Opaline. I have not experienced that ever happening.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you :) well that sucks. My petsmart only sells males from what I've seen. That's not real nice of them :(

Thank you :) well that sucks. My petsmart only sells males from what I've seen. That's not real nice of them :(
That seems to be the case with most chain pet stores unfortunately and I've been to quite a few. If you are interested in breeding these fish, I'd suggest you visit a local "Mom and Pop" pet store. The odds are greater that they will carry the females as well as the males.

It looks like I could also order them online at livefish.com but only the female dwarf, none of the others.

Back
Top Bottom