Sexing guppy fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for anytips on how to sex guppy fry. If someone has comparison photos that would help lots! I have 36 fry and would like to seperate as soon as possible. They will be 2 weeks on monday. Also have another 4 that are 6 weeks

It usually takes a few months before you can tell, the males will start gaining color while the females stay plain, start separating them as they show their true colors :p

My little Japan Blue guppies took a few months before I could tell the two apart. How soon can they breed? I want to separate them before that happens (again).

I was also told that females will have the dark spot almost like a gravid spot while male guppy fry dont have this. Is it true? 3 of the 4 older fish have this dark spot while one does not get they all look female as far as i can tell and that is the only difference between them.

My little Japan Blue guppies took a few months before I could tell the two apart. How soon can they breed? I want to separate them before that happens (again).

I've read they can start breeding at 4 months, my guppies are about 5 months now and one female has already given birth, so do it as soon as you can tell the males apart from the females.

I think it just depends on the types of guppies you have. I dont know what mine are, havent tried looking it up, but i can tell at 1 week the males from the famales just because the males are more colorful, so with my fry, the male fry have half a dark blue body while the rest is the regular silver. while my female fry are still all silver.

So i have a few that only the tail fin and top fin are coloured where some the entire tail and fins are coloured. Is it safe to say those will be male even tho they currently have the female anal fin??

So i have a few that only the tail fin and top fin are coloured where some the entire tail and fins are coloured. Is it safe to say those will be male even tho they currently have the female anal fin??

In my experience, yes, its almost a sure thing. The others could still color up and be male though as well. Think of it like platies, the males have the female anal fin until they mature a little bit and then it splits.

Ive attached some pictures. This is what i mean by some have no colour yet some have lots. Both arethe same age so i guess i should just keep watching for the split??

Attachments

• image-650859537.jpg
    image-650859537.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-987375948.jpg
    image-987375948.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 102
Sorry know its not the greatest pic but i think you can tell the difference haha

Somewhat better pic of the coloured one. Suggestions welcome

Attachments

• image-3359888689.jpg
    image-3359888689.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 105
we have two different species im thinking because i cant tell in your pics. Mine have a dark navy blue rear, with orange and red towards the middle and on tail, then the silver body. The first photo is a male, the second the female for my guppies. These arent fry, their adults, but you can see where i was saying if my fry are half blue half silver i know it will be a male.

Attachments

• guppymale.jpg
    guppymale.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 77
  • guppyfemale.jpg
    guppyfemale.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 100
Somewhat better pic of the coloured one. Suggestions welcome

this i would gander at being a male personally. how old are they?

edited: actually, upon more examination, it looks more like a female, but it could prove to be a male yet, just have to wait and see if the colors come in i think

These ones are 6-8 weeks. I got them from a friend whose guppies had babies so dont know the exact but know its around there

ok based off that, i would say they should hit maturity in about a month or so, and if its male, should start coloring up between now and then.

The pics you posted of the babies all appear to be females. I had 6-8 fry that were Showing coloring like yours are and the ones that looked just like yours(just different colored) all turned out to be female. Hope this helps

A simple way is the following-

Get a clear container and cover all but one side in black paper. Cut a hole in the paper in the back.
Position a flashlight to shine through the hole.
Place a few fry in. If you see a black spot near the anal fin when they swim past the light they are females.

Yes i have done that and started splitting them up. Ive been checking weekly just to be sure since this spot seems to appear better with age. They are 3 weeks now!! Does anyone know how long before the male frys tail starts taking shape? The ones i think are male just have rounded tail fins like females but im assuming they will take a different shape with age??

Back
Top Bottom