Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sexing Guppy Fry?

My 20-25 guppy fry are almost 4 weeks old, need to separate ma/fe. I am going to give you all a good laugh now, at my own expense - how the *&#% do you tell a gonopodium from a piece of hanging poop??!!! Or should I be looking for gravid spots? What is the easiest method? Okay, you can stop laughing now...Help!

3 dogs - golden, basenji, & papillon
2 gerbils
Asst. fish
Oh, and 5, soon to be 8 daycare children - I need more to do, eh?
mona67401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Usually the first thing you will see is a gravid spot, then the males will start to show a hint of color, so it should be evident pretty soon. In my case, with my relatively hard water, I seem to always have almost 90% males (Endler's), so I really have to hunt for the females in the batch. If your water is soft you may find the opposite to be true, but I don't know how scientific that is!

Congrats!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #3

Hmmmm...interesting - I think our water is kinda medium, so we'll see. I'm thinking I may have a lot of females - I see a lot of little dark spots that I think are gravids....I can't wait to see them in a month to see what kind of colors we have. It's our first batch of fry - anyway, thanks for the info, I feel a little more confident about deciding who's what. Thanks a bunch! Mona
Old 09-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

4 weeks is a little soon to tell the sex.....but good luck? Is there a reason you need to separate them so soon?
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #5

Guppy Sexing

Well, I am new at this and have been reading everything I can get my hands on about guppies. It seems I have read in several places that although it may be a little early, that it is better safe than sorry if you are wanting to pick your breeders, rather than leaving nature to take it's course. I know I've read that it is best to separate them around 4-5 weeks of age. But you know, I am also finding that asking for fish advice is like anything else - you will get as many opinions as the # of folks you ask - it gets confusing. So I tend to kind of go with anything that I consistently hear over and over from different sources. My main concern here is to keep my guppy population under control to the extent that I don't want to end up with more than 4-5 tanks total, so I want to be selective about what fish I allow to breed. But I am sure you are right that it is maybe a little early to worry about it - you have to understand, I tend to be quite obsessive about any new venture I undertake Thanks for your input, as I am wanting to learn as much as I can from those of you that have the fish wisdom. Later, Mona
Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

PM Guppyman - he'll be able to help you quite a bit!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fry, guppy, guppy fry, sexing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com