Sexing opaline Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I just purchased 2 oplines, they’re still pretty young but I specifically asked the fish store guy for a male and a female and I have a feeling these are both females...

What do you guys think?

Here’s the one I think could be a male, has darker spots:
IMG_3910.jpg
IMG_3911.jpg
IMG_3919.jpg
e66197333d638cbdbfcddeadaa3510d9.jpg

And here’s the one I think is the female, a little more dull:
IMG_3904.jpg
af7e866a23983e52a00a8c300629e17c.jpg

Both together, they are almost always by each other and do a little dance often; sometimes they have a lot more visible pattern :)
b7422797212506d5d199e7f2c8e76744.jpg

271f0c50b1e5f742d66c09657f1f4218.jpg

The male will have a longer dorsal fin and in the bottom picture, it appears that the dorsals are different lengths. The 2 bottom male pics look like they should be the 2 female pics because the two female pics look like males to me.
Coloration is not a sexing feature with this fish. Dorsal fin length is the general difference in all gouramis ( some exceptions of course) with some species having very different coloration when the fish are in breeding mode.

At a young age it is hard to sex these fish. Males will have dorsal fins that extend past the beginning of the tail fin and will have a more pointed dorsal fin. Females will be shorter and have a more rounded dorsal fin. Both of these I'm confused on and would guess they are to young to sex.

Look both females to me only the last one has a change of beeing male. My 2 spot gouramis are male and female and the difference is dorcel fine is huge one is verry short and round and the other one is almost as long as the backfin

I know at the store the owner told me how to tell the difference, basically saying males have a more pointy dorsal fin and females are round. Both look very round to me.

Is it a problem to have 2 females like it is to have 2 males? Would it be better if I switched one out for a for sure male?

Could also be too young to sex properly.

I know at the store the owner told me how to tell the difference, basically saying males have a more pointy dorsal fin and females are round. Both look very round to me.

Is it a problem to have 2 females like it is to have 2 males? Would it be better if I switched one out for a for sure male?

Could also be too young to sex properly.

Yes it's possible that the fish are too young for an untrained eye to separate.
Yes, 2 females should get along just fine.
Maybe, 2 males together may not get along once a female is in the picture or one becomes sexually mature before the other. Not a guarantee this will happen.
Young Gouramis look female until they become sexually mature at which point the male's dorsal will become more elongated and pointy. If your two are getting along, I wouldn't be in a rush to change anything. (y)

Back
Top Bottom