Sexing Weather Loach...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Although I have read up on the breed and how to sex them, it's not 100% obvious to the untrained eye, so I was wondering if there were obvious colour or patterning differences, basically because I've just taken a look at one of my mum's Loaches and one seems to have a slightly swollen belly around it's mid to rear section... :!:

I would take a photo, but even if my camera had fresh batteries in it, trying to photograph that lot in the tank is near impossible, they move like lightning!!!

I'm hoping it is a breeding related matter and not illness, as breeding some weather loach would be nice to see... :D

Lonewolfblue said:
I'm not familiar with sexing them, but I believe most loaches are near impossible to breed in captivity.

Sooo, erm, how do they breed them??? :?:

At least there's little chance of any breeding it my mum's tank, I hope!!! :lol:

I believe all the hillstream loaches and dojo's (weather loaches) are still wild caught. I'm not sure if anyone is breeding them yet. It's like Roseline Sharks, none are bred, they are all wild caught.

As LWB mentioned, you're more than likely not going to get them to breed in your tank.
You'd need a fairly large tank (my guess would be 55gal or larger) for them. They'd need to be kept as the only species in the tank. Alot of breeders also use 'triggers' to get fish to spawn. Sometimes it's a particular food, sometimes a water change with the new water being a couple degrees colder than usual (simulate rainfall). Whatever it is, it seems as though loaches in general are a hard genera to get to breed in the home aquaria.

I have a friend who is actually breeding a specie of hillstream loach.
Check here.

The wholesale supplier where we get our fish stock says that roselines are actually now being captive bred. Apparently it's rather difficult or costly or something, as wholesale cost is still over $5 each (compared to most tetras/barbs at about $0.60 each).

Back
Top Bottom