Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

shimmy

Verona is starting to do the shimmy shakes in the bottom of my tank! Yay! she should be dropping at any time now

Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! I can't remember what kind of fish Verona is lol. I've been staring at my ten gallon breeding tank all night trying to see what kind of plates and guppies I have. The guppies show no color but I seen tints of orange, red and yellow in my plates. I even see a gold twin bar. I can't wait til they get bigger. But I do have two mystery platy breeds.

How many batches has Verona had? I'm still waiting for two females in my 30 to get pregnant but they won't accept the males lol.

Keep us updated!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos313
Nice! I can't remember what kind of fish Verona is lol. I've been staring at my ten gallon breeding tank all night trying to see what kind of plates and guppies I have. The guppies show no color but I seen tints of orange, red and yellow in my plates. I even see a gold twin bar. I can't wait til they get bigger. But I do have two mystery platy breeds.

How many batches has Verona had? I'm still waiting for two females in my 30 to get pregnant but they won't accept the males lol.

Keep us updated!
Verona is my guppy that is half black half grey, this is her second batch. when she had her first batch she had 36 fry, she's even bigger this time around so maybe she will have more than last time. Most of the fry she had are half black like her, I don't see any color in the others yet. How old do fry have to be before you can tell what the sex is? And it seems that my females have no problem accepting males, I have 6 adult females and all are pregnant
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a guppy that I rescued that gave me fry, and two platys that dropped for me. Count on those I'm unsure cuz they all did it I the middle of the night, but I have between 30 and 50 fry I'm ball parking. Some say color shows around a month and sexing 2-3 months.

I can tell with re platys so far which is which somewhat but no idea on the guppies or the two mystery platys. I have a 55 I'm setting up so this is gonna get interesting.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no clue what I'm going to do with all of these fry, my tank is a 29 gallon I also have a ten gallon that I set up as a nursery tank and had another ten gallon but loaned it to a friend of mine (her two sons had an accident involving a heavy object, long story short, it broke...... into tiny pieces) I had planned on setting that one up as my male tank. But since I don't have that tank anymore I had to separate my males into the little tank (male balloon Molly was picking the fins off of my female guppies at feeding time needless to say he's in timeout right now lol)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol. I haven't had to do any timeouts just yet. I'm keeping some of my fry. I'm giving my father inlaw some when I give him my 30 gallon and the rest will be traded with my lfs for new acquisitions for my 55 gallon. I'm stoked for that tank
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a picture of Verona (kind of a odd name I know, all of my fish are named after people in the play Romeo and Juliet) I hope she drops soon, its 1:42am and my eyeballs are tired from watching this tank

Attachment 90962

Attachment 90961

Attachment 90963

Attachment 90964
Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya it's 1:52 here and I know how you feel. I just watched two of my platy fry size each other up and shimmy at each other lol. I have my heater turned up higher cuz I noticed something on one of the fry's tail. It could just be the light but I want to cover all corners ya know. I think it's just the light but I'd rather keep these little ones safe
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi

Verona is my guppy that is half black half grey, this is her second batch. when she had her first batch she had 36 fry, she's even bigger this time around so maybe she will have more than last time. Most of the fry she had are half black like her, I don't see any color in the others yet. How old do fry have to be before you can tell what the sex is? And it seems that my females have no problem accepting males, I have 6 adult females and all are pregnant
Wow that is a large bellied momma!! Regarding sexing the fry, you can actually tell the sex of the fry after about a month if you have the patience. A magnifying glass helps too lol. The females will begin developing their gravid spot after a month or so, which you can identify with a light and magnifying glass, and a TON of patience. The gonopodium of males takes a little more time to develop, about a month and a half to two IME.
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I woke up this morning and still no fry but she's still doing the body quivers, how she has them soon, I watched her have her first batch and it was awesome to see. this will only be my second time ever seeing a fish give birth

Tags
shimmy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com