Should I Move her to Another Tank Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I've got a pregnant platy.. She is looking bigger and bigger when ever I look at her, so I am wondering if it is time to move her out of the main aquarium. I've got a 1 gallon critter keeper I will use for her to give birth in (I will make sure she doesn't eat them of course) then after the fry start swimming they will move to the 5.5 tank that has gravel. I know it's not the best situation, but it will have to work. I was thinking of putting some wash cloths over the gravel so they couldn't get stuck? The tank was supposed to be a betta tank... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm wondering if I should move her out or keep her where she's at right now. This platy was supposed to be a 'he' but apparently that's not the case! Here's a couple horrible pictures of the lady.....

2z9a005.jpg

2iij4mf.jpg

Little piggy is still eating, but starting to hid more in the corners. I think it's time!

I decided to move her into the critter keeper. It's 1 gallon just floating in the main tank. She won't stop pooping so I am going to do multiple 25% pwc a day with tank water to keep it clean.

Smart move, I had platys that had babies and by morning they all were gone...good luck with the fry!

How long do you think she has? Poor thing has a poo as long as her body hanging out right now!!

Demo the picture it looks like she could burst any minute now! It wouldn't surprise me if it happened tomorrow, mine looked just like that

And just for future reference female platys have a more fan-like anal fin while males are pointed

pooping a lot is a sign of labor. but it could also mean that they just had a really good meal lol

Anyways, smart move on moving her! If you can, add a bunch of plastic plants to help keep the fry hidden in case she gives birth overnight or while you are away. They will eat fry even while they are in labor

yeah, its usually a sign of iminent labor.
goodluck!! hopefully you catch it before she gets the chance to snack on any!

Okay so I put a bunch of plants in there for her. She was still pooping, but she looks smaller?!?! Is it possible at all she had the babies during the 2 hours I was gone and ate them all?

Okay, I swear she seems smaller!!! Ugg, I think she had and ate them while I was out side, then eating dinner! I was away for like 2 hours!!! Dang thing! I am going to keep her in there for a couple more days just in case.
Failing like this makes me want to set up a ten gallon tank and breed Platy's till I get some babies...

Did you see a gravid spot on her before she pooped? If not then maybe she was just constipated, but I doubt that. I really believe she is gravid, maybe she just got constipated from the pregnancy

Yeah, I saw one, and her belly was so huge! I'm thinking I'll take her out, she doesn't look pregnant anymore. She's stressed and the male is stressed, they are best buddies.

Back
Top Bottom