Should I move my male platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 sunburst platy (m & f) and a red wag platy(f). My red wag platy gave birth 2 days ago...unexpectedly. However, I was expecting my Sunburst platy to give birth because she is very large and I can see the eyes of several fry in her belly. My red wag didn't look pregnant to me. Unfortunately, the male sunburst platy is always following around the female sunburst and she can't seem to get any time to herself. I'm wondering if that may be a reason she hasn't had her fry yet. What should I do? Should I move the male to another tank or should I get a dividing net.

I guess I should clarify that because my red wag platy had her babies, I've had to move them to the breeding net. So, I don't want to put the other pregnant sunburst platy in the net, especially since I don't know when she'll have her fry. I don't want her eating the fry that are in the net now.

I have a small 2.5 gallon tank in which I have 9 guppy fry (that really aren't fry anymore) that I could put the male in temporarily. I don't know how the male would do in the tank with the guppies and I am really not sure it's such a good idea. I mean, the tank is only 2.5g. It's pretty full as it is. (It's why I'm scrambling to get the 29g setup and functional). I don't want to move the mom because she is stressing out already because of him. Also, I'm not quite sure why he's ignoring the other female platy in the tank. Do Sunburst and Red Wag not mate? I thought all platies mated with one another.

I just set up my 29g today but, obviously, it's not ready for anything to go in there yet. When I'm ready, I'll move my guppies there and possibly the adult platies as well and use the 10g as a breeding tank. I'm just worried about my sunburst right now. I don't want her to abort her babies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

you said the guppies aren't really fry anymore, so i would suggust you move the guppies and put the pregnant female in the 2.5 ... i know your worried about stressing her out, but this is probably your best option. your situation is hard to advise on, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom