Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Should I vacuum the gravel?

Hello everyone,

I just noticed today that I have two little baby mollies in my 63 litre aquarium. It's quite planted so there's probably more as they have lots of hiding space.

Their good fortune is that my gravel is really dark and since they are black mollies, they are very difficult to notice (and get eaten).

My problem is how should I vacuum the gravel from now on? I don't want to kill them or suck them up but my mollies have quite an appetite and they leave their "stuff" everywhere, so I have to clean that up somehow.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dunno if this will work for you but one of my favorite ways to suck up "stuff" and not wee fish is to put the strainer end of a power filter over the hose I use to drain the tank. I use this to stir up the surface of the gravel and let the gunk go thru the holes.

It's that or vac really slowly and watch closely to see if baby mollies are being sucked up.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I just do it very carefully when I have babies. Check the bucket when you are done to make sure none of the fry ended up in there.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you both, I like the filter idea a lot!

Tags
gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com