show quality betta breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have obtained some really nice bettas recently at my LFS and I now have a dumbo rose petal male, 2 dragon-scale halfmoon males, 2 regular halfmoon males, and a crowntail female. Does anybody have any tips they would like to share on breeding show-quality bettas? because I think these fish are pretty good stock.

You breed them just as any other Betta. Unfortunately, unless you get stock that comes from a breeder with proven lines, you are not going to know what you can expect to get from a pair. So unless you are breeding siblings or parent child combos, I would up my odds of getting fry that look like their parents by breeding only similar looking fish together. From there, you can try to lock in some genes.

Also be aware that breeding Bettas can be extremely damaging to the breeder's fins so if you don;t want the fish to possibly lose their current look, don't breed them.

Hope this helps

ok, yea i figured I should keep along the same fin type or color and look. Im not worried about the fins because I got them from my lfs and they werent in the best conditions, I just know if they were, they would be some of the most beautiful bettas ive seen. I was thinking of breeding a pink crowntail female with a pink and white half-moon crowntail.

Half moon crown tail ? There really isn't such a thing. A half moon should be shaped like a letter D, full and as smooth on the edges as possible, where a crown tail is nothing like smooth on the edges.

Not meaning to be ultra picky, just that if you want to breed like to like, a HM is not a Crown and vice versa. Given the complexity of inheritance for colours and fin shapes, you might want to do a bit of research on the genetics. Some traits are dominant, some recessive, many are influenced by multiple factors. Having some idea of what you may have to work with may help you get fry you will be pleased with.

Half moon crown tail ? There really isn't such a thing. A half moon should be shaped like a letter D, full and as smooth on the edges as possible, where a crown tail is nothing like smooth on the edges.

Not meaning to be ultra picky, just that if you want to breed like to like, a HM is not a Crown and vice versa. Given the complexity of inheritance for colours and fin shapes, you might want to do a bit of research on the genetics. Some traits are dominant, some recessive, many are influenced by multiple factors. Having some idea of what you may have to work with may help you get fry you will be pleased with.

Im just goin by what the pet store called it (It looks like a hlafmoon but the tips of its fins arent solid) Im really just lookin for egg brooding and fry rearing tips. I mean, what did people do for their babies?

Back
Top Bottom