Shrimp advice for beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tan-tay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Want to start a 5g shrimp farm i have no experience with shrimp. Wut shrimp are easy to breed and take care of. wut kind of filtration should i use and can i have fish with my shrimp?

Red cherry shrimp! Just keep clean water and theyll breed. Id use a sponge filter.
Id use bigger than a 5 gallon for breeding and yeah you can have fish. Not really in a 5g tho.
Make sure your tank is cycled

The sponge is the biofilter. And carbon isnt neccessary.
Google sponge filter. It connects to an air pump

Can you get red cherry shrimp from petland? I live in northern canada

You would have to contact your local stores to see if they carry them. They may be able to special order, or you can see if any members in Canada would ship to you.

Hi yes sponge filter be perfect,as already said make sure the tank is cycled first,also i would try and use some live plants a shrimps love picking through them looking for food:)

I just did this myself. I got a 5.5 gallon and made a home made sponge filter. I seeded it with sand, drift wood, and an old filter pad from an already cycled tank and it was ready to go. I have 4 rcs and 4 red rams horn snails for the time being. Does Anybody know if shrimp or snails poop a lot? I need to vacuum the tank a few times a week and i barely feed them lol :nono:

Hi how did you make your own made sponge filter? As far as i know they don't poop to much? But they do love digging around and creating a mess so to speak? What are you feeding?

stingrays4 said:
Hi how did you make your own made sponge filter? As far as i know they don't poop to much? But they do love digging around and creating a mess so to speak? What are you feeding?

Go on youtube and look up sponge filter tutorials. You basically put an airline into a sponge and turn it on ;) you can add more to it to make it work better, but that's the idea.

I took an intake sponge for a filter and fitted clear tubing inside of it / I put holes into the tube where it would be in the sponge / attached a suction cup to attach it and inserted the air pump. works like a charm.

Im feeding a bit of algae wafer, sinking pellets, and have java moss and a sword in there for some algae growth.

Hi i shall have to do that for my shrimp tank(y) sounds allot cheaper than buying sponge filter! Also i have found numerous baby shrimps in my sponge pre filter - i have fitted that to the inlet of my external to stop them getting sucked in:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi yes sponge filter be perfect,as already said make sure the tank is cycled first,also i would try and use some live plants a shrimps love picking through them looking for food:)

This is a great point.
They make them feel more secure too.
And mine just eat algae wafers, leftover fishfood, even shrimp pellets

Also sponge filters are very cheap if you have an air pump already

Hey, One of my new rcs has eggs in her belly. Dont know how long its been, should I leave the sponge filtre on or turn it off? Do the eggs remain in her belly until they hatch? Do you have a good source to raed up on rcs breeding?

Back
Top Bottom