Silver dollar fish help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I am trying to learn more but this is what I know:
That the females are larger and that their anal fin is straighter. - I think it goes down perpendicular to their body.
Males are a bit smaller and their anal fins are crescent shaped.
( anal fins are the red fins on SDs)
When they mate the male and female will swim/ wiggle alongside one another. The female will then release hundreds(?) of tiny clear eggs.
If you want to breed them to raise the fry I think you need to put the pair in a separate tank so other fish do not eat the eggs. I think they hatch after 4 days and can swim a week later. ( last part about breeding I am not so sure)

I hope that helps. Sorry I don't know more. I will share more info when I get more.

hi silver dollars aint easy to breed as the sexes are hard to tell altho on the females the anal fin has a hint of orange/red colour to it . there best off breeding in groups . if i find anymore info for you i will share

Depends on which species you have to determine sexes. Males will develop black spots on the shoulder area one high one low. Tend to get red on the cheeks and tail fin will develop red with very black edge. I'll post pics of one of my males and females later. Busy right now.

Female. They are getting slightly bigger than the males. Anal fin goes to a curved point and is red

Male. Has red in the tail fin and dorsal fin with dark black edging on the tail fin and some on the dorsal. The anal fin has lost most of its red and see the bump that starts 3/4 of the way down the anal fin and makes the anal fin have a round end on it. The males cheeks and front of belly have a lot of red. Also you will see 2 dark spots on the shoulder area that look like this : behind the head one high and one low but parallel. They are not visible in the pic of the male I took. They are most visible in the am and fade in and out depending on their mood.

Sorry the pics are a little blurry they don't like to slow down for pics lol
They will all look the same, like females until they mature and the males will take on their differences. Now that is for the species I have other species may look different but that is the basics of them all I believe.

Back
Top Bottom