Single Platy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Platies had her fry overnight, and this morning when I woke up i saw a single Platy fry hiding at the top of my tank. I felt bad for the little guy and put him in my Breeder cage, cause I doubt he'd last long. The Breeder cage has had Java moss in it and some Anubias for over a month now.

Would enough microorganisms be growing in the moss to supply this single platy fry with food? I've taken some flakes and crunched them up and put it in the Breeder cage, but the little guy doesn't seem to be eating it. I do see him pick at things occasionally inside the moss. What would be the best course of action to ensure its survival?

Firstly, congrats on the fry! The reason he's not eating them is probably because the flakes are too big. Maybe you should crush them more finely. But you're probably doing something right if its been a month. Good luck to you and your fry

The Java moss has been in the breeder cage for a month, without any disturbance from fish, to develop any microorganisms. The Fry is actually only 3 days old.

Oh, well in that case you should grind the food more. Though the microorganisms could be a supplement to its diet, there are not ennough for it to be a staple food source.

Im trying to track down a single loose fry in my tank now lol. I tank raised 4 swordtail fry using Hikari First Bites. They loved it. Aside from that they pretty much fended for themselves pretty well.

i too had one little platy survivor. actually I thought I had lost him and then like a month later he is out and about. cute little thing!!

take some flakes and put them in a small ziplock bag then grind them up over and over and over. someone told me to do it while I watch tv. I don't do it that much, but make it like a powder. then add just a tiny little bit everyday. should do the trick

oh and add some of that finely ground flake to your big part of the tank too. someone told me where there is one there are probably more. trust me - I thought my guy was gone for almost 4 weeks! did gravel vacs, water changes, etc. and I was looking for him!! if they are survivors they are good at hiding. so... you want to make sure that you are feeding anyone else that might be in there that you can't see. the other fish can eat this food too so don't worry - it won't go to waste

I doubt any baby platys have survived, Two Blue Rams and a Gourami (who are constantly trying to eat the platy in the breeder trap), would pretty much clean up the tank. I've been taking tiny bits of flake food and crushing them with my finger, then dropping it into the breeder trap. Saw the little guy nipping at it, But i might just buy the Hikari first bites.

the crushing it in your fingers is not enough. you need to put it in a bag to get it really ground up. the first bites have good reviews on here as well. i just went the cheaper route and used what I had on hand.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom