Snail Eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know it may seem crazy to be excited about snails breeding, but one of my purple "Mystery" snails just laid a huge clutch of eggs right on the part of the hood that opens. This snail is a beautiful color of purple and I have not seen many of these around. The only question is did she mate with the other purple snail? Or with one of the blue snails? Time will tell.

Attachments

• snail_eggs_2-9-2007_754.jpg
    snail_eggs_2-9-2007_754.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 76
wow, that is a GREAT shot! They will produce many snailies I am sure, keep us updated!

wow that is a big clutch! Let me know when you have too many babies and i will happily buy some from you.

Sharing will occur!

I'm going to have to read up on what is the best way to remove the eggs and incubate them. I have been in the process of moving my snails to their own tank when this happened. I think I would like to place the newborn snails in their new home instead of having to fish them out of the old tank.

Git a razor blade and work it about parallel under the edge of the clutch; it will pop off. Then put it between two lil' squares of filter floss. Then wrap it in a paper towel, wetted w/tank water and wrung out, just one thickness. Then put the package in a gallon-size ziplock bag, fill with air and seal. Put it on top of a tank to keep warm, but not on the vent or really hot part.

Daily empty the air and refill. Start checking in a few days to see if it's changing color. Give it 2 weeks before you give up on it, but it could hatch as fast as 6 days or so. If it's fertile, one day you'll see a baby or babies in there; crumble the rest of the clutch into the tank where you want 'em to help the babies out. If it's not fertile the eggs will remain just goo inside. After 2 weeks w/no hatching, break one open with a fingernail.

I hope they hatch well for you, but if not I have a feeling you will be getting lots of clutches from here on in. Congratulations!!

PS-Unless you want 20 billion snails, you might want to stop at incubating just one or two; each clutch can make hundreds.

Yeah, 100's might be a bit much. I think I will let this first clutch hatch and see what happens I can find for them.

They are some really colorful snails though.

Attachments

• dad_630.jpg
    dad_630.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 46
  • mom_604.jpg
    mom_604.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 53
You can see small dots forming in the eggs. They are also turning a slight tint of pink/peach color. I think this is a good thing.

Attachments

• eggs_2_days_586.jpg
    eggs_2_days_586.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 51
Clutch number two!

Ok, if each clutch can produce 100's of snails, I'm starting to see how this can get out of hand!

These snails are in a tank all by themselves. I wanted to see if I could get them to breed. I know that may sound silly but it's true, I didn't know if snails would breed lol.

These are laid above the water line, so the fishies would have to make a really good effort. Nofishy I know likes snail eggs, even underwater ones.....too goopy, I guess.

I couldn't stand it any longer. I took a straight pin and picked at an egg that looked like it was cracked open. Out popped a little white snail shell. too small to tell if there was actually a snail in that shell but I guess that they are or have developed to that point. It has only been a little over a week so I think things are going well....

Congrats Sparky...you can put me on your list of charitable contributions. :) I love their coloration and the babies will definitely possess dynamic colors as well. (y)

LIFE!!!!

I have been checking on things every morning. This morning I find a single, little, almost clear snail moving around in the container that I have the eggs in. It is the first signs of life I have seen so far.

I gently scraped him/her up and placed it in the tank that is to be for only these snails.

Things are looking good.

Back
Top Bottom