Snail Feeding & Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, two quick snail Qs here.

1. What should I feed my snails if there is no algae? Will they eat uneaten flake food or should I go grab some algea wafers?

2. As I don't want to keep paying $2.39 for 5 snails, what is the easiest way to breed them?

Snails LOVE veggies. Try a slice of zuchinni, brocolli stalk, or carrot that has been microwaved for 30 sec. Also, leafy veggies like romaine lettuce and spinach attached to a rock with a rubberband. They'll also eat peas and lima beans (nuked and skinned).

I just recently got into Apple Snails and found www.Applesnail.net full of info. There are 2 different kinds of snails, one that eats plants and the other to eat only dead plants and algae. Something like that, you should really check the site out.

These are just some random snails in the tanks at my LFS, and they charged me $2.39 for 5 of em... They are eventually gonna turn into food for 2 DPs, and I'm looking for a cheaper way to have snails around.

Freshwater plants often come with small snails that will reproduce like mad no matter what I do. But that might be hit and miss.

You can get a few pond snails, wait for about 1 month and you wished you hadn't gotten them. They multiply like crazy and becomes a very big problem in community tanks.

yes, they definitely sound like pond snails and they multiply like crazy. Before you know it you will have enough to feed your puffers.

Back
Top Bottom