So its not a female.... (video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I totally thought I had a male and a female bristlenose pleco, however the one I thought was female looked like it was starting to grow some bristles on its nose. I wasn't quit sure and haven't paid much attention recently until I saw this funky activity tonight. I kinda thought it might be spawning activity, but when I looked closer I realized that "she" is starting to develope bristles all up along the nose. Once I realized it was territorial type fighting I moved one of the males to a different tank before someone got hurt, but I did manage to get a quick video.
Watch "Bristlenose pleco" on YouTube

(Ps the noise at the beginning was my dog drinking water... and then the dog got jealous I wasn't paying him attention so shoved his nose in front of the camera. Thats my 91lb 16 month old american bulldog. I "whispered" at the dog to go lie down... and he listened... but the whisper was really loud on the video... lol. )

Oh and I would like to also mention that this was in a 55 gallon aquarium. I would think there would be enough room for both of them and their own territories. Usually one stuck to one side and the other stayed on the opposite side. Occasionally chasing each other near food.

Edit- can a mod move this to general discussion? I think I posted in the wrong area....

I think my link isnt working

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BcQdHrw4mrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ouch, they really dont like eachother. My smaller male respects the larger one, they dont fight like this. If the size difference between the two was greater, then they would coexist peacefully.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Def. Two good looking males...haha who Don't like each other... its a cool video though I love Pecos! I have a 1' common..... Love him.. he is one of my favorite fish I have by far!

Well the smaller one kept growing till it caught up to the other! They are in different tanks now though so no worries. Surprisingly there was absolutely no fin damage. I have an albino in there now that is very small like 2-3 inches. Im kinda hoping it turns out to be female...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom