SO my Dalmatian Molly gave birth but..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babybre488

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have 8 new fry :D very exciting but now shes just giving birth to eggs? this is normal right?! just getting a little worried.

Its not "normal" I dont think but It can happen. When my mollie had her fry I noticed 1 egg on a plant, there may have been more but thats all I could see, I dont seperate mom or babies from my main tank. Im not sure what the reasoning is, would like to know the answer myself. I think my mollie gave birth prematurely as the babies didnt act "normal" and all passed away within 2 days, and that is also the only time I have seen an egg....

yea cause i'm Really watching her and I think Ive seen 3 or 4 eggs now, all of which has been eaten with 9 fry saved, im not sure how their suppose to act though? Cause their alive, just not really moving in the breeding net?

well its hard to explain. I just know out the 10 batches or so of fry I have seen, my batch that died like that, they didnt swim much, they hid, whcih is normal, but some swimming around is normal too. my premature babies would hide way down in the rocks and just stay there, eventually hours later move only to completely hide again. They didnt "swim" either, they just gave one or two tail bursts of speed.

With all my other fry I notice them do alot of swim hovering in one spot, and of corse they hide, espeically if a big fishy comes close..... thats about as good as I can explain it..

ya their pretty inactive, every now and then theyll move, but they kinda just lay there?

all you can do is watch and wait, feed them 3-4 times a day, keep their maturation tank clean, im assuming thats what you have them in.... I know that if stressed the mom can dropped or abort her fry before its time... im assuming this is what happened to my fry, but she was close to due, but not close enough. If you moved mom to a breeder box/net that may have stressed her out,,.... OR the fry might be perfectly fine and there just lazy... only time will tell. Good luck

your welcome, im hoping someone with more experience with breeding and eggs coming out with the fry could pipe in and give their two cents as well, im curious ;)

Everytime my guppy drops she has eggs, they are unfertilized. It happens more often when they use their stored sperm.

Good to know, mine stay in the main tank to have their fry so I only noticed it the once..... after a day or so it was gone, im assuming someone ate it :D

I put her into a breeder and keep all the fry. Have 2 batchs of fry one the way that are from fresh breeds so I'm anxious to see if it still hsppens. I love raising thefry and seeing how the turned out but I'm running out of places to put them lol :)

I came home from work and quite a few of them are pretty active now :D maybe they were to tired from being born? lmao

I didnt think they would be this exciting!... Well I was Reeaallyy wrong :p

Back
Top Bottom